𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐟𝐨𝐫𝐭𝐲-𝐬𝐢𝐱

♔

*trigger warning!!!!!!!! (mentions of self-harm)*

The next morning, I woke up in Draco's arms. I could definitely get used to this, his arms wrapped around my bare body and he slept peacefully. 

He was so perfectly calm in his sleep. He seemed genuinely at peace, nothing to harm him, and I longed for it to stay that way. I looked down, suddenly very aware of my naked body. I pulled the blanket further up me to cover whatever was exposed to the cold air of Draco's room. 

It was too cold, however, so I threw on the sweatpants discarded on the floor from the night before and my tank top.

I pulled my arm out and looked at it. I stared at the mark until I had suddenly felt sick to my stomach. I ran to the bathroom, not knowing if I had woken him up, and threw up into the toilet. This was really happening, wasn't it?

I was truly a Death Eater now, no better than my father. 

I was repulsed by the thought and looked disgustedly at the tattoo on my arm. The brand that laid there, staking its claim on me. 

Deliriously, I began to try rubbing off the mark. Obviously, this wasn't going to work, but I was so emotional I thought there was a possibility it would just come off.

I rubbed harder and harder until I began scratching at it too. I dragged my nails across my skin over and over and over again until I drew blood, and even then I continued. 

I had to get this thing off of me. Frantically, I scratched harder, digging deeper, and feeling everything. I cried out as more blood fell from my arm.

I was the reason my mom was dead. My dad killed her because she was trying to protect me, to take me to her family. 

Veelas could've kept us both safe, but she was killed before they could ever get the chance. I wondered if there was a funeral. 

I cried as quietly as I could, I didn't need Draco worrying about me. I stood up off the floor, still sniffling, and went to the sink. 

Washing my arm off, the scratches stung and burned. I wet a washcloth and held it to my arm, pressing it hard so as to stop the bleeding. I looked into the mirror, seeing a fucked up girl and behind me, a concerned boy. 

I spun around, clutching my chest, "You scared me."

"What happened? There's- there's blood everywhere, are you okay?" He asked worriedly as he looked around the bathroom, still trying to comprehend what had happened. 

"It's nothing, Draco, I'm sorry. Go back to sleep," I offered, and he shook his head walking over to me. "You're not getting rid of me that easily. Now, I'm gonna ask again. What happened?" He demanded, not at all harshly. 

I was ashamed of myself and my hysterics, so I took the washcloth off my arm and simply showed him the damage. 

It was worse than I thought. No minor scratches like I had assumed, but deep gashes. I had dug deeper than I had hoped. 

"Jesus, Mags," He gaped, reaching out for my arm tenderly and making sure he didn't hurt me. "I didn't mean to... I just got so carried away," I admitted. 

Draco said some spell that closed the cuts up and reduced the redness, and we cleaned the blood off of my arm and off of the floor. 

I had stopped crying now. I had cried too much recently, and if anything was going to get better, tears would only get in the way. 

"I want you to promise me you'll never hurt yourself again, do you understand me?" He said sternly, and I nodded. "I'm not a self-harmer, Draco, I just got a bit emotional over this. I'll be fine, I swear," I said. 

"It's okay if you're not," He said, and I looked at him with confusion. "What?" I asked. 

"It would be okay if you needed me to help you... or something..." He said, scratching the back of his neck awkwardly. "You have enough on your plate as it is," I said. 

He shrugged and I reminded myself of something else. "Speaking of which, what got you so upset last night... when you first walked in?" 

He huffed, taking the washcloth out of my hands and wetting it with warm water, wiping my skin gently with it. "The Vanishing Cabinet. It's taking longer than I expected. I'm just getting stressed, that's all. Nervous too," He said. 

"Nervous?" 

"If I fail this task, he'll come after me. After us. I don't want to be on the run," He said. 

"You won't fail," I said. I didn't know the specifics of the task, but if it was simply repairing a magical cabinet, he would prevail. Draco was so smart, he could figure this out.

There was a small knock at Draco's bedroom door then, and I turned my head. A small piece of paper was slid under and when I walked over to open the door, nobody was there. 

I picked up the paper and read what was written on it. 

Maggie, 

Please come to my office at your convenience. We have much to discuss.

- Albus Dumbledore

 I frowned at the words. I didn't want to speak to Dumbledore, not after letting my dad take me from this school. I know he couldn't have done much, but I had the Dark Mark now. It was permanent. 

Couldn't he have kept me here under the suspicion of abuse? 

Couldn't he have helped me in any way at all?

"What's that?" Draco asked as he came out of the bathroom. "A note from Dumbledore. Says he wants me to come to his office," I said. 

"I wonder what that's about," He queried, and I shrugged. "Beats me," I said. I decided now was as good a time as ever to go, especially because the note was so recent. 

I changed into my uniform for the day and announced to Draco that I was going to go find out what Dumbledore wanted. "Be careful," He said, and I nodded. "I love you," He said, and I said it back. 

Now, it was time to go talk to the man who betrayed me in, according to me, one of the worst ways he possibly could've. 

so... i have been grinding out pre-written chapters but i'm gonna hopefully write a shit-ton tonight. my plot is getting foggy, i def need to refocus.