𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐬𝐢𝐱𝐭𝐲-𝐭𝐡𝐫𝐞𝐞

♔

A response to my letter was quick to arrive back. No matter the distance, it got to me in a matter of three days from when I sent mine. 

In all honestly, I was scared to open it. I was nervous about what this letter would contain. I didn't rip it open quickly, the way I thought I would, but instead carefully peeled the seal up. 

I pulled the letter out carefully, not wanting to rip it, and I unfolded it. 

Maggie, 

I haven't been a very good friend recently. I'm very appreciative that you decided to tell me this, it shows your true character, and I'm proud to call you my cousin. In truth, however, I've known for a while. Ever since we attempted to produce your Patronus, I've known. Sirius told me everything, but now that he's dead, there's not much he can tell you. I'm so sorry for not telling you myself, but I figured you had enough on your plate without knowing this, so I opted to let you find out on your own. I don't know where you are, but the war has nearly landed. It's been brewing for some time, and now we need to fight back. It's time to choose sides, and I know you'll be loyal to us, but make sure Draco will be too. Blood is thicker than water in some cases. I'll see you soon, Maggie Potter. We'll be in the thick of it soon enough. Join us when you feel the time is right.

- Harry 

I expected to be shocked, but nothing shocked me anymore. Nothing surprised me. This was perfectly typical for my life. Of course, I was the last one to find out something that altered the course of my entire life, once again. 

Draco and I were not speaking. I didn't know how, but we were right back to the start again. We were always at odds, no matter what happened. No matter how much progress we made, or thought we made, something would always happen to set us back. 

I went downstairs and got some fruit from the kitchen, taking a deep breath as I tried to decide what to do about the whole war situation. 

"Mon Dieu!" Fleur exclaimed, rushing into the kitchen, looking as if she was walking on clouds. "What is it?" I asked the ecstatic looking girl.

"He proposed! Bill proposed!" She exclaimed, and I smiled widely with her. She had been telling me about this man, Bill, as she called him, and how they had been going out for a while. 

"That's amazing!" I said, happy for my cousin. "Just picture it! Fleur Weasley, it has a nice ring, no?" She gushed, and I furrowed my brow. 

"Wait, Weasley? As in... Ron Weasley?" I asked, and she nodded. "Why, yes, that's his younger brother. Do you know him?" She asked, and I actually laughed out loud. "This world is far too small for my liking," I chuckled, unable to hide my awe. 

"Amazing," She breathed, clearly head-over-heels in love with the man, and she turned, grabbing me by the arms. "You must come to England with me, he says they are going to fight soon. You're surely coming, no?" She asked, and I bit my tongue. 

This was the perfect opportunity to go back. It was certainly the safest bet we had, and I could manage to go with her back to England that way. Maybe it would work out after all. I'd end up wherever she went, which was going to most likely be at the Weasley's. 

"Yes, I'm coming," I said, deciding right then and there. She smiled, but then frowned as she looked behind me. "I'm going to go start packing," She said, walking away briskly. 

"You're going where?" Draco asked from behind me, and I held my breath. Fuck

I turned around and faced him, not wanting to keep any secrets. "Back to England. Fleur is marrying Bill Weasley," I answered. 

"Were you even going to ask what I thought of this decision?" He asked, coming closer to me. "I made my choice and I could do from there was hope you'd be supportive. I want you to come with me," I said, and he scoffed. 

"I saw you got a letter. I'm not going to pretend I'm not suspicious that now, all of a sudden, you're racing back to England," He said. 

"Did you read the letter?" I asked, but he shook his head. "Didn't feel like it. It would hurt too much, I think," He said. 

"If you had just read it-" 

"I don't need to read it! You love someone else, just admit it! You owe me that much," He exploded. 

I was in awe. "Draco, it's-" 

"Merlin, what were we all along then? Just a sham?" He asked, distraught. "No, Draco, it was-" 

"Did you ever even love me? What was this? Now that someone else is owling you, we're nothing? Is that it?" He cut me off again, and I really considered slapping him in the face. 

"It was from Harry, you idiot!" I shouted, and he looked stunned now. "Oh," He said, feeling rather stupid. 

"Where did that trust go? It's funny how it picks and chooses when to come around, right?" I asked rhetorically, and he sighed. 

"I'm just a little bit on edge now. If we go back, there's no chance my father won't expect me to stand by his side. By the Dark Lord's side," He said, and I huffed. "I know. But if you come with us, you can avoid that all," I said. 

"You think they won't find me? My best bet is to go directly to them so they don't hunt me down and find you along the way," He said. 

"Draco, I don't think-" 

"It's the only way," He said suddenly as if he had realized this was the only choice he had, and I felt my eyes watering. "Why? You don't need to protect me," I said, and he shook his head. 

"I know, but right now, I do," He said. 

He leaned over to me and kissed my forehead. "I'll see you soon, don't worry, love," He promised, and I squeezed my eyes shut. "I'll see you soon," I said. 

When I opened my eyes, he was gone. 

it'll all make sense later i promise ahhhh we are getting to the end though.