𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐫𝐭𝐲-𝐟𝐢𝐯𝐞

♔

After the opening feast and throughout, I reflected on how tired Draco looked. Right when the meal ended, he dashed out of the Great Hall and ran off somewhere I didn't see. 

Before everyone got up to go to their common rooms, I made a point to walk over to the Gryffindors to say hello. It had been so long, and it was about time I tried to reconnect with them, even a little bit.

"Hi, guys," I said a little too quietly. Ron turned around first, his eyes widening upon seeing me. He hit Harry's shoulder, and Hermione looked up on her own. 

"H- Hey, Maggie. How've you been?" He asked breathlessly. I stood in front of him looking into his eyes in the least intense way I could. I didn't want to zone out and make him uneasy... I had been doing that a lot. 

I would forget where I was and what I was doing, unfocus my eyes, and just stare at a wall or the ground. I kept attentive as we all chatted and caught up with each other. It was refreshing to talk to people that didn't have similar issues to myself. 

We talked for a long time, but eventually, I had to go back to the common room. Blaise had already left, so I said goodbye to the trio and walked out of the Great Hall. I walked alone to the common room, and then up to the dorms. 

This year, we had similar dorm situations, but Pansy and Millicent were assigned to another room while Daphne and I would room together. 

The rooms for the older students were rearranged with two beds and more space in general. It was so nice, and Daphne was the nicest person in Slytherin anyway, so I was almost excited to room with her. 

I walked into the room and saw Daphne at her desk scribbling on a parchment. "Hey, Daph, it's good to see you," I said, greeting her for the first time since last year. 

She turned around and looked at me with a wide smile. "Maggie! It's been so long!" She chirped, and I smiled back. Towards the end of last year, I'll admit I was not the most social. 

I also looked like a trainwreck, which people noticed. Over the summer I ate more, gained strength and health back. I was a functioning human being, for the most part, the only thing that's damage was irreversible in my eyes was my emotional and mental health. 

"You're looking well," She said kindly, and I nodded. "I've been feeling better recently," I said. mentally, a lie, but physically, the truth. 

"Where did you spend your holiday?" She asked, and I sat on my bed to continue our conversation. "Blaise's house," I said, and I noticed the smallest of flinches come from her. 

The tiniest, yet most telling, reaction. 

I smiled to myself. "Oh... was that fun? How- how is he?" She asked, and my giddiness got the better of me. 

"He likes you too, you know. Has since last year," I said. 

Her breathing caught in her throat, but she locked eyes with me as if to see if my genuine, promising smile would waiver. 

"Why don't you come to Hogsmeade with him and me this weekend? Please?" I asked, deciding I would help make this happen once and for all. 

"I- I don't know. I would feel like I was intruding, you guys are best friends-" 

"Intruding? You'd be saving me from his constant blabbering, trust me, you'd be a blessing," I said with a chuckle, and she smiled wide again, a blush creeping onto her cheeks. 

"You're sure he likes me?" 

"He wouldn't shut up about you this summer. I wonder what Daphne's doing this summer? I should've asked Daphne out during school. Do you think Daphne likes me?" I said, mimicking Blaise's enthusiasm I had heard for two months straight. 

"Really?" She said, a giddy laugh escaping her as she tried to hide her blushing from me. 

"You're totally coming this weekend. Oh, I can't wait to tell Blaise," I said excitedly.

She buried her face in the sleeves of her sweater as she laughed with me. I decided to take a brief nap, a wave of fatigue washing over me suddenly, and I curled up under my covers as quickly as I could. 

The warmth surrounded me, keeping me safe, and I drifted off into a deep sleep. 

When I woke up, Daphne was fast asleep. 

What time was it? I looked at the clock on my wall, something that felt very familiar, and I shook my head with a wary smile as I realized how ironic this was. 

Midnight. Naturally. 

For the hell of it, I decided to get up and stretch out, I had been sleeping for quite some time. 

I rubbed my eyes and put my hair up before sneaking quietly out of the room. This would be quite the shot in the dark, but if I went downstairs and saw Draco, I would be happy about it. 

I crept down the stairs, but he was nowhere to be found. I sighed, sitting down on the couch. He was really going to avoid me, huh? 

He was acting so strange on the train, but I couldn't put my finger on why. I wish he would talk to me. 

I heard light footsteps behind me, and I whipped around, nervous another student was coming down. When my eyes landed on Draco, I was more at ease, but still not sure what to do. 

I kept my eyes trained on him and he kept his eyes on me. 

He was in sweatpants and a long sleeve shirt, his sleepwear I presumed, and he looked drained. 

He motioned his head in the direction of the portrait and walked towards it slowly. 

"Draco? Where are you-" I started, but was cut off by his voice. I almost missed what he said, it was so low, but I caught it. 

"Follow me." 

upload time upload time upload tiiiiiiiiiiime. it's nothing crazy... but uh... fun things to come. maybe i'll double upload tonight. idk.