𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐭𝐡𝐫𝐞𝐞

♔

"Yeah! Let's go, Maggie!" Fred and George cheered as I stood up, laughing at their enthusiasm. I stifled my giggles as I walked to the front of the Hall confidently, wanting to get my house sorting more than anything else. 

I sat down on the stool in front of everyone in the room and waited patiently as the hat was placed on my head. 

As if in my head, the hat started speaking to me for only myself to hear. 

Yes, you have a delectable brain for me to pick. What's this? Maggie, very brave, kind, loyal, intelligent, and cunning? This is going to be a bit difficult for me, now, you are quite the specimen. Your last name- what is it dear?

"Warrington," I answered. 

A Warrington? Yes, your father was a... well... a Slytherin who has achieved great things. I see many admirable qualities about you, many indeed. However, I don't know which to start with, what house to consider you for...

"Gryffindor, Gryffindor, Gryffindor," I whispered over and over to myself. 

Gryffindor? Why not any other house? Hmm, well no matter, I once made a mistake by listening to someone I was on the head of years ago. He didn't want to be placed in Slytherin, and I gave in to his request although now I can see he would flourish there. Harry Potter was his name, I remember it well. 

No, you're going to be placed where you'll do best. I'll not make the same mistake I did then. You show cunningness, ambition, drive, determination, and savvy. 

I know where you'll go. Yes, yes, I can see it now. 

"SLYTHERIN!" The hat shouted, and the word I didn't want to hear most echoed throughout the hall. I looked at the friends I had only made hours ago and watched as their faces dropped, especially Harry's. 

I sighed, so much for having friends here. They definitely no longer trusted me. 

I don't even get what I did wrong, but maybe Harry had the answers. The hat mentioned his name and something about making a mistake. 

Regardless, the Slytherin table erupted into cheers as they got a new member, and I reluctantly walked over to them, faking a smile. 

I noticed Draco sitting somewhere with an open seat next to him, and I sighed. What were the odds? At least this Blaise guy was in my house, maybe I would talk to him.  

"A Warrington. Would've never guess you were from that family," Draco said, slightly impressed, but I ignored him. 

I sat down next to Draco and he scoffed. "Not so high and mighty now, are you?" 

"What? I could've sworn I just heard a voice," I said jokingly. 

"You're infuriating," He said, and I pretending to look around for something. "Where is that annoying little voice coming from?" I fake complained, amused with how irritated he was getting. 

He finally shut up and a few of the other Slytherins were looking at me now. The first years were being sorted, but they didn't seem to pay too much attention to it, only applauding whenever another Slytherin was selected. 

"What's your name again?" The girl directly across from me asked. She had black hair and a smug look on her face. "Maggie," I said. "I heard them say Magdelena," She shot back at me, and just looked at her. 

Was she serious?

"Well, I go by Maggie. By the way, if you heard them say Magdelena, there should've been no need to ask my name," I said. 

"You're from America?" The boy to her right chimed in, and I nodded. "I'm Blaise Zabini, and this is Pansy Parkinson," He informed me.

"Don't tell her my name! She doesn't deserve to know, anyway," Pansy shrieked. 

"Why not?" I asked, and she rolled her eyes violently. I found myself hoping they would get stuck that way. 

"Everyone saw how long the hat took to decided on your house. You weren't exactly a shoo-in for Slytherin, so you obviously don't belong here," She snapped. 

"You heard her last name, Warrington, she's as pureblood as all of us," Blaise defended me.

"Are you all like this?" I asked, fed up with how everyone was acting. 

"I'm not, personally," Blaise said, raising his hand a little, granting himself a slap on the arm from Pansy. 

"Good, at least somebody here is sane," I said, turning my body away from the group to watch the first years continue to be sorted. As I looked around the room, I found my eyes wandering to the Gryffindor table. 

I locked eyes with Hermione and mouth 'help', to which she giggled. At least they weren't house-ist towards me... if that was a thing. I guess it was since they hated Slytherin so much. 

I looked at Ron next, who was already looking at me for some reason. I gave him a little wave and he waved back, getting the attention of Harry, who looked dreadfully worried for some reason. 

I continued along the table, spotting Fred and George next, but they didn't see me. 

I looked at the other tables but didn't know anyone from any other houses, so it didn't really matter. 

When the sorting ceremony was over, everyone began eating. I wasn't particularly hungry or particularly eager to converse with anyone from Slytherin after our initial introductions. All except Blaise, but he was talking to Draco, Pansy, and two other boys I overheard were named Crabbe and Goyle. 

Weird names, but who was I to judge with a name like Magdelena?

"So you're the Maggie my father was talking to me about, aren't you?" Blaise asked after a while, and I nodded as he smiled at me. 

"Yeah, it's nice to finally meet you," I said, returning the smile. 

"Wait a minute, Zabini, you know her?" Draco asked, and Blaise nodded. "Our fathers are friends, they work at the Ministry together," He answered. 

"Sorry, mate. Now you have to be her babysitter or something?" Draco asked, disregarding the fact that I was right there. 

"Give it a rest, would you?" Blaise shot back, and Malfoy sat up straighter, clearly not used to being talked to in such a way. 

"Whatever," He huffed, turning to Pansy to say something. 

"Can we talk in the hall for a second?" Blaise asked quietly, clearly not wanting to hang around Draco any longer with all the looks he was being shot. 

I nodded and stood up to follow him out to the hall, hearing subtle taunts from behind me that I ignored. "She's certainly... erm... friendly, isn't she?" I heard Draco hint about me to Pansy with a smug laugh, but I blocked it out.

"Ignore them," Blaise said as we walked and I scoffed knowingly. 

"Oh, trust me, I intend to."

ooh, draco's all mean and nasty right now. i wonder if that'll ever change...