𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐭𝐰𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐲-𝐨𝐧𝐞

♔

The next day, I woke up at ten, getting some time to sleep in.

"Morning," I said, sipping on a cup of hot coffee out of a white mug. My dad walked into the kitchen after me, but he had been awake for hours.

"Morning, pumpkin," He replied.

"I hate that," I nagged, but he only chuckled at my indifference.

"You hate that I call you 'pumpkin', pumpkin?"

"It's too early for this," I huffed, and he laughed again.

"It's almost noon, wake your ass up," He joked, and I took another large gulp of my coffee.

"Whatever," I retorted.

"That the best you got?" He asked.

"For now," I nodded.

I stood and placed my now empty mug in the sink, turning on the water and rinsing it out. "What are we doing today?" I asked curiously, and my dad opened the fridge in search of something.

"Well, we're having dinner at Zabini manor, it's a big ball or something like that. We were cordially invited," He said, and I smiled.

"I get to see Blaise," I thought out loud, excited that I wouldn't have to go too long without seeing my best friend.

"What do I wear to something like this?" I asked, and my dad laughed unexpectedly. "Actually, they sent a dress code with the invitation," He said.

We were not used to stuff like this, these fancy events in giant mansions.

We attended galas in America, formal attire was required of course, but not ball gowns and such. It was a different kind of formal.

We had money, but in America, it was just a different life.

I took the invitation from his hands as he passed it to me, and I read it over a few times. I needed a long gown and heels. As I mentally added those to the list of things I did not have, I realized I had to find a dress shop before tonight, stuffing the paper into my pocket after.

Fantastic.

"Winnie?" I called out, and the house-elf soon appeared by my side.

"Mistress?"

"Where can I find somewhere to buy dresses?" I asked her, and her ears pricked up.

"You may go to Twilfitt and Tatting's for your gown needs," Winnie replied, and I smiled, thanking her.

"I guess I'm going to Twilfitt and Tatting's," I said to my dad who was busying himself with RSVPing to the event.

"Okay. Be safe, Mags," He said simply, and I nodded.

I went to the fireplace I could use Floo Powder in, taking a handful and throwing it onto the ground after expressing my desired location.

I coughed as the powder came close to my nose, but nonetheless, I had arrived. I dusted myself off and walked into the dress shop, immediately commanding the attention of the shopkeeper.

She was a frail-looking and elderly, but looked kind.

"Hello, dearie, how may I help you?" She asked, coming out from behind the counter, slightly hunched over.

"I'm looking for a dress- a gown, really. For a ball," I said and she nodded.

"Where might this ball be taking place?" She asked curiously, trying to capture what look we were going for, and I pulled the invitation out of my pocket.

I read it over once more before handing it to her, and when she read it as well, her eyes went wide.

"Blazing baubles, you're going to Zabini manor, that's- what is your name dear?"

"Maggie Warrington," I answered nervously, and she bit her bottom lip as she kept to her thoughts.

"Is your father, by any chance, Fabian Warrington?" She asked, and I nodded.

"That would be him," I answered, and her eyes widened once more. I didn't think they could get any wider if I'm honest, but here she was, defying my expectations.

"Oh, blimey, alright. I'm so sorry for any wait you may have endured. Come right this way, follow me to the gowns," She chattered, becoming increasingly jumpier.

Why did she seem so nervous? I was receiving special treatment at the mention of my dad's name, this was obvious, but I had no idea why.

She led me into a back room with gowns and long dressed lining the walls, all draped on mannequins. I looked at all of them, and when I saw this gorgeous emerald green silk gown, the shopkeeper noticed my paying special attention to it.

"Like that one, dear?"

"It's beautiful," I breathed, infatuated with the gown before me.

"You have the complexion for it," She said, and with a wave of her wand, the mannequin came to life, stepping down from her post and modeling the dress in the middle of the room.

"I- I love it," I said.

"Well, what are your measurements dear, I'll have it sent to your dwelling in less than an hour, how does that sound?" She asked, and I beamed and nodded enthusiastically in response.

Back at our house, I was fully dressed now. The gown took no time at all to arrive, fitting me perfectly in all the right places. I put on the shoes I had picked up on my way home, simple black high heels- very high, might I add- and fixed my hair.

I didn't put it up like my dad wanted me to but left it down. I styled it and made it look presentable, then came down the stairs when we were about to leave.

We got into our flying car and my dad drove to the mansion this ball was going to be held at.

Upon arriving, the first thing I noticed was that the house looked more like a palace. It was so grand and so beautiful, I couldn't help but be mesmerized.

As we stepped out of the car, now safely on the ground, and walked towards the front, the doors opened wide to greet us.

"NOW WELCOMING FABIAN WARRINGTON AND HIS DAUGHTER MAGDELENA," A servant boomed and I looked sheepishly around me.

"Head high, Maggie," My dad said, and I obeyed.

I looked around and saw Blaise standing with who I would assume was his father. He turned to me, his face breaking out into a smile, and I gave him a little wave.

Then, the ballroom dance music began.

the mansion in the gif is what i'm making zabini manor look like! anywhooooo shits about to go down...