𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐭𝐰𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐲

♔

I got out of bed, pulling a sweatshirt over my tank top, and I straightened out my shorts. I put slippers on too, the floor was too cold to go barefoot. 

As I walked down the stairs, I stopped halfway. 

Was I really ready to talk to him? I found anxiety getting the better of me as I started to become overly stressed. I looked down at my empty hands and was reminded that I wanted to bring my book down. 

I couldn't show up with the sole purpose of talking about a kiss that he might've already forgotten. 

Oh, shit. 

That was something else entirely. 

What if Draco didn't think of the kiss the way I was thinking about it? Maybe he thought it was a mistake? 

I didn't know why I was getting so worked up over it, but in that exact moment, I found myself too worried to face him. He probably wouldn't even be down there, we had avoided each other for this long, he was probably asleep. 

So, I turned around and went back to bed. 

Christmas break was soon upon us, and I couldn't be happier. I loved my friends here, but I missed my dad. I hadn't gotten a single letter from him, which I thought was weird, but maybe he was just busy. 

Umbridge had been getting on my nerves too, but I hadn't had a run-in with her yet, so I counted myself lucky. 

I woke up early, five-thirty, and began packing my stuff up. Everyone was leaving later on today except for whoever was spending their Christmas break here. I knew my dad was an early riser, so the sooner I could get to him, the better. 

When my things were collected, I changed into an outfit that would suit the cold weather. I put on a pair of mom jeans and a chunky olive green turtleneck sweater. I put my hair into a ponytail and hauled my trunk down the stairs as efficiently as I could. 

There was still another bag in the dorm, but I could go up again for it. 

As I crept into the common room, placing my trunk down on the floor, I quickly scanned the room and my blood ran cold. 

There, in the corner of the room in his usual chair, Draco was slumped over, fast asleep. 

I didn't know what to make of it. All I knew was that this meant he had waited down there for me. He had waited, and I had been an asshole and went back to sleep. 

If I had known he would come down, I would've- 

I would've come down too. 

I raced back upstairs, grabbing my last bag, and collecting myself. I put a hand to my forehead, not knowing what else to do other than sneak past him and leave. 

Was that the worst possible idea ever? Maybe, but for right now, it was necessary. 

I went back downstairs, still seeing him sleeping, and I snuck by, going through the painting for the last time until break ended. 

If I was so against talking to him about this stupid kiss, why did my heart ache went I walked away from the common room? 

When I got home, the first to greet me was my black cat, Poe. I wanted to bring him to school, but he didn't do so well at Ilvermorny, so I brought my owl instead. 

"Hi, buddy," I smiled, lifting Poe up into my arms and hugging him. 

"I wish you could read and write, I would send you so many letters," I said as I buried my face in his fur. 

"Speaking of letters, I've meant to get one over to you," I heard my dad say from behind me. I turned around, still smiling and I walked over to him. "Hi, Dad," I greeted happily, and he smiled too. 

"Hey, kiddo," He said, and he pulled me and Poe into a group hug. 

"Why haven't you written any letters?" I asked accusingly after we had broken apart from our hug. 

"Things at the Ministry have been hell. Your headmaster isn't exactly making things easy for us, but we have to accommodate Umbridge. She's a living nightmare," He said, and I nodded. 

"Believe me, I know," I said. 

"Anyway, tell me all about school! Make any friends?" He asked, and I rolled my eyes. "Blaise and I are really close-" 

"Really close as in... like, close close?" 

"No, Merlin, no! He's like my brother," I clarified, and he let out a sigh of relief. 

"So, no boys that need a talking to?" 

"No, not right now anyway," I assured him. Draco didn't count. We weren't really anything at all. 

"Well, I'm sure you want some time to get reacquainted with Poe. He's missed you, Mags," My dad said, and at that, I chuckled. Our house-elf, Winnie, scrambled amongst us, taking my trunk and extra bag up to my room. 

My dad and I were never ones to mistreat Winnie. She could come and go as she pleased, and we offered to pay her monthly. She was extremely loyal and helpful but declined our offer of any money at all. 

"Thank you, Winnie," I called after her as she walked up the stairs. 

"Mistress Magdelena is most welcome. Winnie only wishes to help," She said in her cute high-pitched voice I loved so much. 

I followed her upstairs, Poe in my arms. "Winnie, I said you can call me Maggie. It makes me sound so... I don't know, old, when you call me Magdelena," I said. 

"Winnie only wished to demonstrate respect, and respect comes in the form of using my mistress's full name," She said, placing my bags down, and I smiled, knowing there was no arguing with the elf. 

I put Poe on my bed and watched as he curled up comfortably. 

"Does the mistress need anything else?" Winnie asked, her ears pricking up slightly to try and pick up any request from me. 

"Only a hug? I haven't seen you in the longest time," I said, kneeling on the floor to conform to the house-elf's height or lack thereof. 

Winnie smiled sweetly and walked over to me, spreading her arms wide and embracing me. 

With that, she waddled out of the room and downstairs as I sat on my bed with Poe, petting him as he purred at the contact. 

I looked around the room I had only seen for a week or so before going to Hogwarts and I tried to introduce myself to it. 

I reached into my spare bag, pulling out my copy of Pride and Prejudice and placing it on my bedside table. 

I knew what it reminded me of. 

Maybe I liked that. 

LMAOOOOOO sorry i know they didn't like meet up and have some great kiss but like... give it a little bit of time. not like... a shit-ton of time, don't worry, but like a little bit more time. how unsatisfying would it have been if these h0rny bitches were like ayyyy lets make out rn story over. 

also... thank you for 3k reads!