chapter 3

after a few moments, donghyuck turns his head towards meili.

the girls face was glowing in the moonlight and her eyes were closed. she looked to be asleep, but he knew she wasn't.

how did he know?

she was still cutely fiddling with his hand.

'beautiful' he thinks as he studies her features.

meili's eyes flutter open, causing the boy to quickly turn his head back towards the sky, wide eyed and flustered.

'whats up with me tonight?'

the girl sighs, still fiddling with hyucks hand.

"do you ever wonder..." she starts.

"...yeah?" hyuck glances back over at her.

she opens her mouth to start again but pauses.

"do you ever wonder whats out there?"

"sure i guess"

"i mean like aliens and such. do you ever find yourself wondering if were just a simulation run by aliens and they just watch our lives like the kdramas we watch on tv, cause like same. if we exist why wouldn't aliens?"

donghyuck took a moment to process what she said and them burst into laughter.

she tilts her head over to the laughing boy, his hand slipping out of her grasp to clutch his stomach.

"what?" meili deadpans (the word deadpan just reminds me of suna rintarou lol).

donghyuck calms down, taking a deap breath and then exhaling with a smile on his face.

"that sounded like something renjun would say."

"well we are twins, arent we?"

"true."

they both stop talking for a couple seconds.

"do you and renjun ever have long discussions about aliens at all?" hyuck breaks the silence. "i swear that guy could go on for hours about that stuff."

meili doesnt answer right away so the boy looks over and she has a nostalgic expression on her face.

"we used to watch conspiracy theory documentaries all the time"

"used to?" he questions.

she doesnt respond.

then donghyuck sits up, meili following and slightly shivering.

the boy peers at the girl from the corner of his eye, sensing her shivers.

"you want my sweater?" he asks.

meili glances up at him.

"sure," she smiles.

donghyuck then shrugs his hoodie off and hands it over to her.

"arent you cold in just a tee shirt?" meili asks, a hint of concern in her voice.

"nope im okay" he assures her.

silence as they both move to glean against the side of the fence nearest to them, donghyuck offering meili his hand again which she accepted of course.

"i dont mean to intrude, but you and renjun dont seem too as close anymore." hyuck says, pretending renjun never said anything about it. he just wanted to know why. "am i right?"

she hums. 'ren never said anything about it to the rest of the boys im guessing...'

"i guess your right."

"is there a reason?"

meili doesnt answer 

"i know me and my twin have slowly drifted apart from each other as we grew up, us not being as close as we used to be. but with you and renjun it just seems kinda weird and awkward, given that you two live with together."

"hey where is your sister anyway?" meilin attempts to sneakily change the subject. "still modelling?"

"oh she's just at school in america now," he sighs. "and now she's acting."

meili nods.

she always had wondered what hyuck's sister was like. and if they wouldve been friends.

donghyuck had never talked about her, but still shared atleast a couple things.

like how she was a child model and was homeschooled.

but that was basically it, no full name or anything.

donghyuck then realized that she was avoiding the topic of her brother but decided not to point it out.

"now back to what i was saying, do you and renjun not like eachother?"

meili sighs.

"i do like him and we did get along but i dont think he likes me anymore,"

"please,thats not true, he used to always invite you to come places and hang out with us but its always you who declines" donghyuck scoffs. "he probably thinks you dont like him."

"now why did you distance yourself from him and us? tell me the truth."

"i cant!" she exclaims.

"so you admit there is something going on?"

"no- i dont know-," the topic was a hard one for the girl so she was of course struggling to answer, to deny his sayings. but it was just too much for her right then. "just... stop! please! leave it alone!"

the girl covers her ears and squeezes her eyes shut, pulling her knees to her chest.

hyuck doesnt say anything, them both just sitting there for a minute in silence.

then he realizes his mistake and slowly turns to the girl. he slowly reaches to smooth her hair down, meilin relaxing into his touch and slowly dropping her hands from her ears.

"sorry, i shouldn't have pried," he apologizes.

meili has the sudden urge to hug him, so she reaches to him and closes the gap between the two, basically sitting in his lap because they were both sitting down.

hyuck was taken aback but closes his eyes and hugges her back, a smile creeping up onto the boy's face which he couldnt hold back.

"dont worry about it," she mumbles into his chest.

"lets just think about something else."

"sure."

donghyuck opens his eyes, catching sight of a small, shimmering light blinking in the grass.

then a couple more flickers appear around the first.

"meili," he whispers out to the girl.

"yeah hyuck?"

he softly smiles at the nickname.

"look, theres fireflies,"

meili pulls out of their embrace and follows his gaze to see a bunch of moving lights, shining in the moonlight.

"beautiful," she breathes out.

he smirks, his gaze shifting to the girl, mesmerized by the fireflies.

"yeah, beautiful."

eeogohkfkfksjfjjrzb