chapter 37

meili's breath hitched in her throat, her eyes widening and shooting in donghyuck's direction. she was taken aback by his sudden confession, definitely the last thing she would ever expect from him.

she scanned the boy's face for any signs of it being a joke. she realized he was serious, face grim while his eyes swirling with an emotion she recognized as love.

"hyuck..." she began, his face suddenly flashing with hurt as he knew where she was going. "i have a boyfriend."

"then break up with him for me."

meili's face contorted into a look of bafflement and confusion.

"hyu- um... i-," she stumbled over her words, struggling to say what was on her mind. she gave up, covering her face with her hands in attempt to put her words together. 

donghyuck continued to watch her closely, ignoring the pain in his chest as he waited patiently for her to finish. it was close to becoming unbearable, but he chose to not show it, keeping on his straight face.

"it's to get over her," he reminded himself. "to move on."

"you're not in your right mind, donghyuck. you and hana literally just broke up a week ago."

his heart clenched along with his fists, the boy not feeling the relief he was expecting to feel.

"i never loved hana," he blurted, mouth going against his mind. "i only dated her to get over you."

meili frowned. he wouldn't of done it because she was no longer available, her and chenle had gotten together after the two.

"why didn't you just tell me that you liked me?" she asked, genuinely curious. "would've been much easier than going and dating someone you didn't like."

"i thought i liked her though," he admitted, closing his eyes in exhaustion. "i didn't think you liked me anyway. didn't want to ruin our friendship."

"i did like you though."

the two fell into a silence, everything quiet accept for the sounds of nature surrounding them. meili looked at the boy beside her who's eyes had then flickered open and over to her, locking with hers.

"do you still like me?"

her heart caught in her chest, eyebrows furrowing at the question.

she opened her mouth to answer, nothing coming out.

"i thought so," he muttered after he didn't hear an answer. he knew she would be stumped, being part of the reason why he would ask that.

meili continued to stay silent, even as donghyuck turned away from her and the pond. she watched his back disappear deep into the path, chest filled with guilt and another emotion.

"i suck."