chapter 40

"goodluck!" meili called out to chenle and jisung, both turning the corner while waving. they both disappeared into the dressing room to prepare for their performance at the talent show, meeting up with the other boys.

the girl turned to look at jinae, who had a worried look on her face.

"what?" she looked at her in confusion, the girl suddenly grabbing onto her arm.

"we should go get seats," she said quietly, tugging her in the direction of the door.

"it's okay, jinae," meili laughed, shaking her arm from her grasp. "we'll get good seats."

and she was right. both of the girls had entered the auditorium to the whole front rows empty, except for a couple of people scattered here and there.

meili led her friend to seats in the second, perfect view of the stage in front.

"this is the perfect place," she assured jinae, pulling her down beside her.

the girl nodded, trusting her judgment. "what do you think they're performing?"

"mm i'm not sure..." meili confessed, looking at her watch to check the time. there were 10 minutes left until the talent show began, at least 10 minutes until she saw the boy's.

if she hadn't ruined things with donghyuck, she would also be performing that night. it was too late now, though.

jinae seemed to pick up meili's drop in mood, squeezing the girl's shoulder in comfort.

"it's not your fault," she reminded her, knowing exactly what was on her mind.

a small smile grazed her lips as she shrugged, turning to the stage as the lights flickered off.

———————————————————————
✨✨✨✨✨✨✨✨✨✨✨✨✨✨✨
———————————————————————

the crowd clapped once more for the pair on stage, both bowing before hurrying off. meili smiled, recognizing one of the boy's from her creative writing class, clapping extra hard for his song writing.

the mc appeared on the stage, microphone in hand as the crowd silenced.

"now for the last performance of the night," the student began, holding his mic out behind him onto the stage. meili and jinae looked over at eachother in question, both with the same thoughts on their minds.

a hand stuck out, taking ahold of the mic, following the rest of his body.

it was donghyuck, meili realized, the boy sporting a wide grin on his face as he scanned the crowd in amusement.

"nct dream," the mc announced before exiting the stage, leaving donghyuck standing in the centre alone.

"hey," he spoke into the mic, tone a little off as his eyes searched the sea of students for the familiar pair he longed to meet.

their eyes suddenly locked, meili's breath hitching in her throat. the boy smirked, sending a subtle wink before glancing away and back into the crowd.

"this performance is for a girl i badly messed up with," he chucked lowly, the crowd letting out a short laugh. meili's hand flew to her rapidly beating chest, jinae glancing over in curiosity and concern. "we actually wrote this song for our class project, more so her really."

the crowd laughed once again, meili letting out a short chuckle as well.

"i like you meili, a lot. this is for you," he pointed straight at the flustered girl, many eyes following in curiosity. donghyuck turned on his heels as the crowd erupted into cheers, attempting to hide his burning face as he returned next to dream.

the stage lights flashed on above them, music beginning to play from the speakers as the boys began to move.

meili watched in awe throughout the entire performance, amazed that the song her and the boy wrote was being performed.

she cheered at the top of her lungs at jeno and jaemin's parts along with the rest of the auditorium, watching them rap her lines better than she could ever potentially do.

sooner than it had started, the music slowed to an end, cheers filling the room. meili found herself in her feet, tears of happiness streaming down her face as she watched the group disappear off the stage.

"i'll catch you later," meili quickly informed her friend, rushing through the seats and towards the exit, pushing the doors open and sprinting down the hall.

she rounded the corner towards the stage entrance, freezing when she took notice of familiar sweaty heads of hair strolling out of the doors.

meili locked her eyes onto the closest one, his head bowed as he wiped the sweat off his forehead. the boys behind him froze in place, immediately stopping their conversations as they watched the scene in front of them.

donghyuck seemed to sense something off, then taking notice of the figure standing at the top of the hallway.

his eyes met with hers, unable to read the emotions displayed on her face as she stared at him. suddenly, she started in a run towards him, launching herself into his open arms and burying her head in his shoulder as she burst into tears.

the boys took this as a sign to leave, quickly retreating down the hall to give them space.

donghyuck was frozen, unsure how to react but began to slowly stroke her back. she relaxed into his embrace, sobs slowly starting to calm down.

eventually, she removed her face from his now-tearstained tshirt, sniffling before meeting his eyes once more.

her mouth curved into a smile, his immediately following and the two began to giggle.

"i like you a lot too," meili then blurted, quickly covering her mouth in embarrassment and averting her gaze to the floor.

donghyuck brought his hand to her chin, lightly tilting it up towards him while he blissfully smiled at her.

"glad to hear," he mumbled lazily before his eyes flickered down to her lips, then back up. meili took this as a sign to drift forwards, eyes flickering closed as she felt his warm breath on her face.

their lips collided, molding together as they immediately fell into a rhythm. donghyuck was cautious at first, careful not to be too rough which meili found adorable.

warmth spread through her chest as the boy wrapped an arm around her waist and pulled her closer, deepening the kiss. her hands tangled through his soft hair, messing it up like she had been waiting to do for months.

they pulled away for a breath, staring at each others flushed faces with gazes full of love.

a large grin made its way onto donghyuck's face, eyes crinkling as he stared down at the girl he adored.

meili let out a giggle as her eyes drifted up to the boy's hair, a couple tufts sticking out from her messing it up.

he scrunched his nose as he tried to flatten it, giving up and ruffling the girl's instead who let out a squeak.

"you're cute," he spoke, pulling her close again and burying his face into her hair.

"no, you are," she argued, voice muffled in the boy's shirt which was apparently amusing to him.

"can i be your boyfriend?" donghyuck suddenly asked, causing the girl to look up at him, their eyes meeting.

"if i can be your girlfriend."

he smiled, taking that as an answer before attaching their lips once more.

———————————————————————
✨✨✨✨✨✨✨✨✨✨✨✨✨✨✨
———————————————————————

THE END!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i feel like this was all rushed but BSJKSKGKSJG FINALLY!! THANKYOU SM FOR READING THIS ILY <3

P.S. i might write an epilogue later idk😩