chapter 18

"donghyuck."

meili turned to the unresponsive boy who was seated next to her, typing away at his phone.

"hello?" she waved a hand in front of him.

the two were in class, supposed to be working on their song.
meili was trying to get the boy to help her continue the process, but after the disasters and struggling their last work period had involved, donghyuck decided to be stubborn and was reluctant to help.

"it's not that bad," she huffed, slumping back in her seat. she was getting annoyed, they needed to get working on it soon so they could practice singing.

"we need to get started so we can sing," she pointed out, hoping to catch his attention with that.

luckily she did, donghyuck quietly glancing up from his screen, eyes flickering over to the girl slouched in her seat. noticing she was actually serious, he shoved his phone in his pocket and picked up his pencil.

"okay, what do i do?"

meili sat up straight, ready to give him instructions.

"i don't know much about song writing but i was thinking, since you don't seem to be fond of the writing maybe you could try to figure out the main melody and centre chorus?" she suggested, watching his face closely as he ran it through his mind.

it was a hard task, but one meili thought he was capable of. hopefully he wouldn't shut it down.

"sure, why not," he muttered, ripping a page out of his book.

"great..."

she watched the boy for the first minutes as he scribbled out words onto the page, beginning to hum a simple melody. she was so immersed in watching him that she forgot to get to work herself.

donghyuck felt the pair of eyes as they bored into him, slowly irritating him by the minute.

"don't you have writing to do?" he remarked, tone full of annoyance, not sparing a glance away from his work.

meili was taken aback, eyes flashing to her page full of hurt.

"alright."

had she done something wrong? why did he seem mad at her?

the questions pained her, chest filled with the feeling of guilt and regret. what if she was being too demanding with the project and he no longer liked her?

she just decided to try to forget about it, distracting herself by continuing with the lyrics.

many minutes later the silence was broken by donghyuck, pencil clattering against the desk as it left his hands.

his hair had been growing a bit long, brushing his eyes in the slightest. he needed a hair cut soon. maybe a dye as well as his dark roots were growing in again.

"meili?" he had asked, the girl looking up at him.

"yeah?"

"you're coming to the game next friday, right?"

the game was neo high senior basketball team's finals match against valley high. neo currently held the spot as league champions, consecutively winning all of their regular matches. they had also been holding a streak of three years of victory which had started when the lee 'haechan' donghyuck (the current captain) had joined the team as the first freshman to play senior.

each year he had helped carry the team to victory, being blessed with not only a unique singing voice, but raw basketball skills as well.

chenle had also joined the team as a freshman, a year after donghyuck, earning himself the name of being the second first year to play senior. he was also set to be captain the following year after donghyuck graduated.

the other dreamies were talented players as well, which is how they gained popularity aside from their charming looks and personalities.

meili had nothing to do that friday, her only friends actually playing in the match, so of course she would be going to watch.

biting her lip, she hesitated to respond to the boy, unsure by his tone what he wanted to hear.

"well... yeah, of course," she answered, staring down at her page.

"ah," was all he responded with. he went to grab his pencil but missed, it rolling over towards meili.

they both stuck out their hands at the same time to grab the pencil and made contact, both jerking away after feeling an electric shock.

after recovering, donghyuck hastily took his pencil in hand, not giving meili and looks.

"sorry," meili muttered under her breath, unsure why she had even bothered.

the students around them could feel the tension in the air between them from meters away, it being so thick you could cut it with a knife.

it had confused meili as she had no clue what had been done to make things feel the way they did. a thought that donghyuck had some how discovered her crush on him had come up in her thoughts, but she knew that jaemin would never tell.

"maybe i'm just that obvious" she considered as she packed up her things to leave. "how pathetic."

i've been trying to update daily but i probably wont update tomorrow tho😩