chapter 13

"ugh," meili sighs, burying her head into her arms. "how am i supposed to know what my favourite animal is?"

meili and donghyuck were at the latter's house, struggling to fill out the answers for their sheets.

his mother had been home, greeting the two as they arrived and commenting on how grown up meili looked.

they were both currently sprawled out on the boy's bed.

"this is all pointless," donghyuck complained, blowing his bangs out of his face. "why are they making us do this."

"maybe it's to help us find something to write about if we have something in common? or maybe its so we bond from knowing these small useless things," meili guesses, rolling over onto her back, dangerously close to the edge.

her leg slips, donghyuck quickly grabbing onto her arm to prevent her from falling.

meili lets out a laugh at his panicked expression, purposely slipping off the edge of the bed.

"what are you doing?" the boy sticks his head over the edge, gazing at her as she lay unmoving on the floor.

"napping."

donghyuck grabbed his phone, deciding that they had finished the work after quickly jotting down random answers for her questions, doing the same for his.

"wait meili i have to ask you something," he remembered, grabbing two papers off his dresser.

"yeah?" she sits up, eagerly looking over at the boy.

he holds up two tickets for the city's carnival that weekend.

"i don't have anyone to go with so do you wanna go with me?" he proposes, watching meili's face expectantly.

her face falls, the feeling of guilt filling her chest.

"i'm sorry," she frowns. "i told jaemin i'd go with him."

donghyuck nods in realization, a look of disappointment spreading over his features.

meili's lip slides out in a pout, his saddened expression contagious.

"you can come with us?" she offers, the boy shaking his head.

"it's okay, i'll find someone to go with."

she smiles at him, her phone lighting up with a notification.

"oh, jun just texted, i should go," meili stood up, pulling her bag onto her back. "see ya."

he smiled, nodding at her as she left the room. pouting, he gazed up at the ceiling feeling the tiniest bit of jealously as he thought about meili and jaemin.