chapter 39

weeks after meili and chenle had broken up, donghyuck and the girl stood side by side in the english room, watching as the teacher listened to their song.

"the rapping... is something..." ms jeong commented on meili's bars, a hint of a smile growing on the girl's face. "but the singing and lyrics are amazing. nothing anyone wouldn't expect from you both."

the two bowed to the teacher, grateful for her commentary on their song. next they were awaiting the news about if they were good enough to perform at the talent show.

"i do love the song, it's extraordinary and would make a great addition to the talent show, but i've been recently observing both of your interactions in class."

donghyuck looked down, knowing what was about to come next. it must've been very obvious, the clear tension that followed the two when they were together.

the result of the talk they had weeks ago throwing their chemistry down the drain.

"i don't think you two should perform together at the talent show."

meili winced, hands balling into fists as a wave of guilt washed over her. donghyuck wouldn't be able to showcase his vocals because of her. it was all her fault.

"i understand," meili nodded her head, putting on a fake face as she smiled up at the teacher.

donghyuck watched her face closely, seeing right through her facade, knowing her tears were threatening to fall. he knew she'd blame it all on herself, for rejecting him and ruining everything she'd probably been thinking.

he felt bad, wanting to reach out for her but couldn't. the positive side of this (not that there should be one) was that he could see meili really cared for him, knowing she had no strong feelings about performing in front of the school unlike him.

maybe he had another chance with her.

a plan brewed in his mind as ms jeong dismissed them. he decided to stay back to throw his suggestion down, crossing his fingers that it would be excepted.

"do you think i could perform the song with my friends?"