chapter 35

"hey guys," donghyuck pulled back his regular chair in their cafeteria table, nodding to the group who looked quite lively that day.

"hey," jaemin widely grinned at him, bouncing in his seat with his usual cup of coffee placed in front of him.

jeno groaned, resting his head on the table in exhaustion from being fed up with jaemin.

"how was math?" renjun asked as he picked at his lunch in front of him, taking a quick glance to the boy beside him.

"awful," he laughed, throwing his head back in amusement.

meili felt her eyes drift to his exposed forehead, then forcing herself to look away.

donghyuck noticed this, a small smirk making its way onto his face. he then remembered what had happened between him and hana the previous day, sitting up straight.

"hey i forgot to tell you all something."

the group looked at him expectantly, waiting for him to continue.

"me and hana broke up."

renjun and jaemin nodded and continued back to eating, totally unfazed.

"you broke up with her?" meili asked, shocked. unlike the others, she didn't expect it.

he nodded, watching the girl's face carefully for any signs if happiness. there was only surprise evident in her expression, mouth hanging open with widened eyes.

she looked back down at her food in thought. hadn't they both really liked each other? none of the boys commented it, all of them having expected it anyway.

meili felt conflicted throughout the lunch hour, continuing to silently eat her food while occasionally feeling donghyuck's gaze on her.

the flicker of hope that had ignited in her chest grew, filling meili with a frustrating, unfamiliar emotion.

chenle noticed his girlfriend's furrowed brows, giving her a light shove.

"you okay?"

"yeah," she answered, a hint if uncertainty in her tone.

he frowned, a little bothered that she didn't tell the truth but shrugged it off. from the corner of his eye, he could see donghyuck taking another peek at meili, then quickly looking back down.
suspicious.

"hey chenle, you know that assignment we got the other day?" jisung drew chenle's attention to him.

he hesitated in answering, taking one look between the boy across from him and the girl next to him while running a hand through his messy hair.

"yeah, why?"