Part 47- Climax

ANNE

Anne walked toward Gilbert's house, anxious to see Mary who had returned from the hospital a few weeks before. She hadn't been able to visit before because she was too busy with school and Green Gables, and also wanted to give her some time to get used to the new routine of having a baby at home.

Gilbert was well again, the traumas of the past seemed to have been forgotten, and he had smiled again in that incredible way that she loved. When he looked at her now, there was much more than love for her that always overflowed through his eyes, there was a mixture of gratitude, as if all the weight of the world had been lifted from his shoulders, because Gilbert had been able to share his pain with her. Now he had freed himself from a senseless guilt, and could love her any way he wanted.

When Anne thought about that day, she still felt her heart breaking, because she had never seen Gilbert so vulnerable. He was always her strength, the security wall on which she leaned without fear, because she trusted him with her life. It was in his hand that she held when she felt too weak to cross the obstacles along the way, it was in his arms that she filled herself with strength to face anything without hesitation, but she had to see him with his soul exposed to understand that Gilbert was human, had his weaknesses and his fears that he hid under a layer of self-confidence and a courage Anne had never seen before.

For the first time, Anne could truly see Gilbert. Not that he hadn't been honest with her before, but by telling her how he felt about his mother's death, and how it connected with the state Mary was in at the time, he had shown her a fragility Anne never thought  could reach him. But at the same time, he had shared his heart, and for Anne it had been the most wonderful gift she had ever won, and there was nothing else that could separate them now. They were connected by the stories of their lives, they were united by a love without limits, they were connected by their souls who were united as if they were sisters, and Anne knew it was the most precious good they had now.

Anne arrived at Gilbert's house and knocked on the door, and as if he sensed it was her, the boy came readily to assist her, looking at her so intensely that he made her breathe with difficulty. It was so difficult, after  all the storm that had hurt Gilberthad passed to stay away from his arms, it seemed that neither of them could stop touching each other. There was a new magic that made Anne fall in love with him again, much more than all the times they were together. It wasn't just desire what they felt, it was something else that seemed to consume them in every way. Gilbert was the love her heart had chosen, and he was also the only boy she'd give herself to without reservations and full of passion.

She had never thought about it before, because she thought that kind of love in its rawest form was destined for books, because it was too intense a feeling for the human being to experience it, but now that she felt it in her own flesh, she had discovered that she would never be free of it while she was in Gilbert Blythe's arms.

Gilbert hugged her before she could enter the house, sank his hands into the mass of silky red hair massaging her neck in hypnotic movements, which left her unable to react.

- I'm glad you're here. I was missing you a lot.. - Gilbert spoke in a whispering voice that sounded like music in her ears.

- Gilbert, we just saw each other at school. - Anne answered with her eyes closed, loving that caress that made her tremble, and without strength to resist. Gilbert knew how to take advantage of her weakness, and he did it masterfully

- A minute away from you is like a lifetime to me. - He said, continuing to caress her neck until Anne leaned on him, weak and with her heart jumping.

- Then you will get sick of me. - Anne answered, feeling Gilbert's lips slide slowly over her neck.

- That will never happen. You are all I want and need. - His warm breath on her neck was driving her crazy. What was that game he was playing? Why wasn't he kissing her right away? Would she have to beg?