Chapter 77 - Two souls in one

ANNE

 Paris had turned out to be another pleasant surprise for Anne, and she was happy to be living yet another incredible experience with Gilbert. Perhaps if he hadn't been there, things wouldn't have been as wonderful as she thought, because the city of love really did have the power to transform relationships into something real and magical, and the effect on her and Gilbert had been to make them fall even more in love with each other. 

 How was that possible? She wondered. Everyone said that the fire of passion that was so great at the start of a relationship would subside over time and become something common between couples, but between her and Gilbert that wasn't true, because after so long together, her heart still beat for him, and skipped a beat whenever he gave her those deep looks as if he wanted to tell her all the secrets in the world. Being with him every moment meant discovering something new every day about herself and her fiancé, as if there was always a surprise hidden beneath what they felt for each other, and making love to Gilbert was the best thing in the world, because for her, it wasn't the physical satisfaction that counted, but what they felt. Every time she gave herself to Gilbert, it was as if she was giving him another piece of her heart and revealing another facet of herself to him. 

 That was why her connection with him was so perfect. Since the first time, it had been like that, and she had never regretted giving herself to Gilbert, because her heart had always told her that he was the right guy, and time had only proved to her that he would be the one. 

 Sometimes, when she was lost in her own thoughts, she wondered what would have become of her if Gilbert hadn't come back, or if she had chosen another girl to love. What would she have done? Where would she have gone? When she lived in the orphanage, her only goal was to become free and live as she pleased, but what would have become of that freedom if she hadn't met Gilbert Blythe? What would have become of her life if their fates had never crossed? Perhaps she would still have gone to college and become a teacher, but with the difference that her life would not have had the same intensity or the same light, because once her hands had intertwined with Gilbert's, he had become the captain of her life and had taken her across seas that she had thought she could only dream about and never sail. 

 What a wonderful adventure she and Gilbert had embarked on together. What an immense joy it was to share with him every little pleasure, every little victory. If there was another life beyond this one, Anne was sure they would meet again, because the bonds they had were so strong that they would be united even beyond another sphere or dimension.

 She had never thought that love was a feeling capable of involving someone so much, that there would be an exchange between souls. In the novels she read when she was still so young, and couldn't even imagine that such an immense feeling would take her in its hands, Anne just didn't think there was that much depth. It was just a romantic story written to enchant, but in real life there could never be anything that great. But how wrong she had been. How meeting Gilbert had opened her eyes to something she had never dreamed would happen to her. Her romantic dreams had been overtaken by a pair of brown eyes that had captured her heart completely. Anne had never thought that becoming a woman in his arms would give her the freedom she had dreamed of within the gates of the orphanage, and that it would reveal things about herself that she had never known. 

 It was good that fate had been generous with her, and had given her more than she thought she deserved, it had given her someone who showed her every day everything that love had to offer, and to whom she trusted her life with her eyes closed, and whom she would never stop loving even when she took her last breath, even when she wasn't in this world and her feelings had become pure energy, she would make sure that she infected other hearts with her strength and authenticity.