Part 13- Gilbert's Suffering

GILBERT

It was the first time Gilbert had cut wood after he returned from his trip. They wouldn't need wood until next winter, but the physical effort helped relieve the tension, forced him to stay focused and prevented his thinking from going beyond the task he was performing.

Yet his mind betrayed him and made him remember every moment with Anne. He had achieved a perfect connection with her, he had declared himself, and thought that from then on they would understand each other.

How did it all go wrong? At what point had he lost control of the situation? When he had left Anne the night before he was so happy that he barely realized the moment he came home. Bash had already gone to bed, but Gilbert was too agitated to sleep, so he prepared a coffee and sat in the living room, daydreaming about Anne's kisses. That's when he heard a light knock on the door and wondered who it was at that time of night? Was anyone in the neighborhood sick and in need of help?

When he opened the door, he freaked when she saw Ruby Gillis standing on his porch.. She looked scared, even a little shy, and her hands were shaking a little. he wondered what she wanted. So he thought the best solution was to ask and get it over with.

- Good night, Ruby. What can I do for you?" Gilbert said politely.

- Good night, Gilbert. I wonder if we could talk." Ruby asked , nervous. She knew she shouldn't have been there at that time, and if it hadn't been for Josie, she never would have had the courage. She had told him about Gilbert's interest in Anne, the looks between them, though Anne disguised it very well. She wasn't going to lose him like that, she'd waited three years to declare herself and would do so now.

- Of course, we could.. What's the matter? – he didn't invite her in. He didn't think it was appropriate.

- I won't be long. What I have to say will be very quick. - And taking courage she said: I love you, Gilbert.

- What? The boy was so surprised he didn't even know what to say. He looked at Ruby trying to understand the real meaning of those words, but he couldn't.

- Yes, I've loved you for three years and now that you're back, I thought we could get to know each other better. That is, if you want to.

- Ruby, I don't know what to say. That's unexpected, to say the least. - Gilbert was starting to feel embarrassed about that girl at his door, declaring herself to him at that hour. he didn't want to hurt her, but the truth was, he had no interest in getting to know her better. However, he didn't want to say that at the time, so he tried to soften the blow that would end her hopes.

- Ruby, I... - but he was interrupted because Ruby grabbed his arm and gave him a surprise kiss. She was so pushy that Gilbert had to hold on to her waist or the two of them would collapse right there on the porch. Suddenly he heard a dry noise and someone cursed softly. He lifted his cheek, taking the opportunity to run away from the kiss that hadn't pleased him at all, and what a surprise it was when he ran into Anne, who was watching them. From where he could see her blue eyes darkening in fury, her face turned red showing all the hurt that the scene had cause

"No, no, no"! He wanted to shout when he saw her turn her back, run out and disappear into the darkness. That couldn't be happening. Why did that girl have to show up like that, uninvited and give him a totally meaningless declaration of love? He wanted to send her away and run after Anne, but his gentlemanly soul didn't allow him to be rude, he just said:

- Ruby, I'm flattered, but I think you'd better go home. It's late and we'll talk about it another time.

- That's all right. You need time to think, I understand. - Ruby said, with that childish voice that was already starting to annoy Gilbert.