Part 20- Trouble

ANNE

Anne looked at her watch every five minutes. She felt impatient and knew what the reason was. The meeting with Gilbert Blythe was driving her crazy. She wasn't so sure whether she should have accepted it, because after all, it put her peace of mind and her heart at risk, and it would have been much better if she hadn't taken it so seriously, because she didn't believe so much in the feelings Gilbert said he felt for her.

But then, why did she feel that anxiety so great that it made her stomach squirm? Why did her hands tremble and feel her head spin every time she remembered what was waiting for her a few hours ago?

Exactly three hours from now, to be precise, she thought, consulting the clock that marked half a day once again. She had already done all her chores, helped Marilla with her lunch and then washed and dried the dishes, tidied up the kitchen and finally folded all the clothes Marilla had washed in the morning. So she had the rest of the time to prepare for that meeting, and if she could calm down it would be a big deal.

"Stop worrying about it , Anne. It's just a date like any other. There's no reason for all this nervousness," she said to herself.

"Is it really? Why is it that you've been looking for the perfect dress for half an hour and can't make up your mind for any? Isn't it because you want to please Gilbert Blythe?- there was your greatest enemy, your inner voice.

Anne put both hands on her head as if she could make that annoying voice shut up, and then said in her mind. "Let me, stupid voice, I don't need your opinion."

But it was true that she had put all her dresses on the bed, and she didn't know which would be best for the occasion. At last, he chose between a blue and a green, but he couldn't make up her mind. She was still in this dilemma when he saw Diana enter his room as if he were running away from his worst nightmare, and Cole right behind her showing a frightened face that made Anne scream in surprise.

- Good heavens, Diana! What happened? You almost scared me to death. - she said with her hands on her chest, as if she wanted to calm her heart that was beating too fast.

- Anne, please help me. My mother wants to send me to Paris. She says as soon as Aunt Josephine comes home, she's going to hurry me along with her. My God, what am I going to do? I'm desperate. I don't want to leave school. What about Jerry? I can't leave him here. - Diana was crying and shaking hands non-stop.

- Relax, Diana. You're gonna end up sick like this. ...said Cole, worried about the girl.

- How can I calm down, Cole? My mother's made up her mind, and she didn't care about what I think.- Diana sat on Anne's bed with her head between her hands and sobbed.

- Anne, is everything all right up there? the redhead heard Marilla ask.

- Yes, it is, Marilla. Don't worry. - she answered.

- If you need me, I'm down here. -said the good woman.

- Thank you. - Anne simply answered.

- Anne, what am I going to do? Tell me you have an idea to get me out of this mess. I don't want to go to Paris. - Now Diana had stood up and grabbed Anne's hands as if she wanted to tear them off. The girl was trying to think of something, but with Diana talking all the time she couldn't come up with a plan.

- Calm down, Diana. I'm thinking, but I still can't keep anything concrete in mind.

- How couldn't you? Don't tell me you're out of ideas? But you never run out of ideas. Ouch! I'm lost! - and Diana was crying her eyes out.