Part 23- Great news

GILBERT

Gilbert was delighted. This was the right word to describe what he was feeling, and the reason for this enchantment was one: Anne Shirley Cuthbert.

They had a perfect afternoon together, without the usual arguments that always happened when they met. For the first time, Anne stripped herself of her mask of irony and indifference and let the wonderful creature that she was emerge. Although the incident of her delay almost ruined everything, putting Gilbert in a dark state of humor, the unfolding of events later brought incredible surprises.

Gilbert had been surprised by Anne's unexpected kiss in the forest. He had never thought she was capable of something like that, for when it came to him, spontaneity wasn't Anne's strong suit, she became aloof, and Gilbert always had to take the first step, but this time she had outdone herself, leaving him speechless.

Another special moment was when they were in the clearing, having a picnic and there was a complete connection of feelings between them. They exchanged confidences, talked about their plans for the future, and Gilbert had finally managed to break down the barrier that had kept him away from Anne, and that was something he had longed for, but wasn't sure he could do it.

It was really important to be with her in that corner where he had never brought anyone before. That meant Anne had a unique role in his life, and her presence had made the magic of the place even more intense.

He liked to talk to her, share memories, and stay close to her, and when Anne let her guard down, she turned out to be a witty, funny girl. She was able to make the funniest comments and the smartest observations, and when she smiled she became the most irresistible girl in the world. Anne had that unconscious power over Gilbert to get anything she wanted from him, and the boy knew deep down that the redhead had already stolen his heart completely, and if one day she left he would lose the best part of himself.

Anne was like an uncut diamond, and she had shown herself to him in a whole new way. He liked this secret side that she carefully tried to hide within her untamed spirit, for it aroused in Gilbert an absurd curiosity to get to know her more deeply and unravel all the mysteries that were part of her soul, and this fact made him feel more and more involved and in love with that charming and unique girl.

Knowing that she corresponded to his feelings in the same intensity made him intoxicated. Although they had not yet spoken openly about love, the physical attraction between them was evident, all they had to do was touch each other so that a flame of sensations would ignite, and there was nothing or no one who could deny that.

When he arrived home the day before after leaving Anne at Green Gables, his heart was leaping with happiness. He could think of nothing else but those blue eyes so expressive spoke everything, even when Anne kept quiet. It was hard to sleep that night, and when he woke up in the morning as soon as the sun came up, he decided to go to church, because he knew Anne would be there. He needed to see her even if he couldn't talk to her, because he couldn't stand the idea of spending the whole Sunday without her being near him.

He noticed when Anne arrived with Marilla and Matthew Cuthbert and as always she looked beautiful. He had spent much of the service watching her, and Anne didn't notice his presence until some time later. She seemed surprised and then delighted to see him there just a few steps from where she was, so she gave him a bright smile, and that simple gesture made Gilbert win the day.

When the service was over he had found Matthew standing near the church exit and then began to talk about the farm, while Gilbert's eyes did not miss a single movement of Anne talking to Diana and Cole, a fact that made him frown in displeasure, for it seemed that that boy was always hanging around Anne one way or another, and Gilbert didn't like the idea at all.

Then he had a grateful surprise when he had been invited to dinner at the Cuthbert house by Marilla that Sunday night, and Anne seemed to have enjoyed that invitation very much, as she showed a satisfied expression on her face, and when Marilla had gone to speak with Pastor Jackson he and Anne had the opportunity to spend a few minutes alone talking.

It was quite stimulating to see Anne turn red with embarrassment when he made a playful remark about wanting something more with her than kissing. He had done this on purpose just to see what kind of reaction she would have, and when Anne realized that the innuendo had been made just to upset her, she had joined in the joke by enjoying his play on words. Gilbert had had to contain his laughter when Marilla called Anne away, and the girl had had to pretend they were just friends by shaking hands with him.

Then he had come home thinking about dinner at that night, when he would have the chance to spend a few more hours with Anne. He would have to thank heaven for that unexpected gift. When he arrived at his farm, he saw that Bash had finally returned, and was in Mary's company. Gilbert entered the kitchen smiling and said amusing:

- Good morning, I thought you'd abandoned me forever. How did you spend these two days away from home?- seeing Bash's frank laughter Gilbert continued. - I don't even think you need to answer, because I can see you had a great time and in excellent company.

- Good morning, friend. Mary and I have something to tell you. - said Bash taking Mary's hand.

- Really? And what's new? – Gilbert wanted to know.

- We're engaged," said Mary very shy, but her eyes were glowing with happiness.

- But that's great news! Congratulations! - said Gilbert, hugging them both. - Then he continued. - I have something to tell you, too. We were invited to the Cuthbert house for dinner tonight.

- How delightful! And what is the special occasion? -he asked Bash.

- It's Mathew's birthday, and now with the good news from you, I think we have one more thing to celebrate. - replied Gilbert.

- You look very happy this morning. Do those shining eyes have to do with what I'm thinking?- Bash wanted to know.

- Who knows?" said Gilbert, taking a naughty wink.

Bash hugged Mary and said smiling, looking at Gilbert:

- Isn't life really wonderful?

 Hi, guys. I hope you like this new parte and tell me what you think. Kisses.