Part 6- In love

GILBERT and ANNE

And there they were facing each other again. Gilbert's eyes wandered over Anne's face, then the dress she wore and the wreath in her hair. And as always she impressed him with her beauty and the delicacy of her features. Anne was really amazing, the green color was really made for her, it made her eyes shine even brighter and the flowers in her hair gave her a fairy look that Gilbert found almost irresistible, he couldn't think straight when he was near her, so for a second he didn't know what to say.

Meanwhile, Anne was trying to recover from the surprise of finding him like that. She knew he'd be there, but since she hadn't seen him, she thought Gilbert might have changed his mind. But now he was there, so close and he looked at her with that intense look that warmed her soul, and she cursed herself for not being able to say anything clever to refute the comment he made earlier. Her attraction to Gilbert left her speechless. Why did he have to be so handsome? Why did Gilbert disturb her so much? She didn't want to feel that way, but she couldn't help it.

At the last minute she managed to recover and said;

- Stop being so cocky, Blythe. Why would I look for you?" Anne said, trying to be ironic.

- Maybe because you missed my presence so much. - he said, provoking her.

- You really are very arrogant. Can you please let me go?, I have to go help Marilla. - Anne said, wanting to get away from that dangerous closeness.

- Running away from me again, Anne?

- Why would I run away from you?" Anne asked taken aback by his words

- You tell me. - said Gilbert, defying her with his eyes.

- I think the sun on the beach affected your brains. Where are you going with all this talk? - asked Anne, her eyes sparkling with anger.

- Anne, you... – he couldn't finish the sentence, for at that moment they heard someone shouting, "The church is on fire!" Anne ran to Marilla's tent, but didn't see her, so she asked Matthew:

- Where is Marilla?

- She went to the church. - he answered nervously.

Anne didn't wait another second and hurried to the burning building. Gilbert who was following her closely saw in horror Anne enter the burning church and then shouted:

- Anne, no!

But the girl ignored his calls. Her only thought was of Marilla, she needed to save her, she was like her mother, the only one she knew and loved, she couldn't lose her, not now that she had a family.

In her desperation she didn't see that the flames were already taking over the front of the church, and a huge amount of smoke was everywhere, even in the sacristy. And where was Marilla? She was shouting her name and had no answer. Her eyes were tearing and heat there is getting unbearable.

Outside there was a general confusion, Ruby and Diana were crying, and even Josie seemed distressed by the situation. Gilbert was preparing to go after Anne in church, when he heard an anguished voice behind him asking:

- Gilbert, what's happening? Where is Anne?

He turned and saw Marilla with desperate eyes and said in terror:

-Marilla, are you here? My God! Anne went into the church thinking about saving you!

- I was actually in church, but I left before the fire started. It looked like a candlestick had been misplaced and the candle fell on a table and set everything on fire. Oh, my God! Who will save Anne? And Marilla started crying.