Part 18 - Heart matters

GILBERT and ANNE

The week was a lot of fun for Anne, and also very busy. Since she didn't have class at school, she took it upon herself to help Marilla with the farm chores in the morning at Green Gables, and then she ran to Diana's house and spent the whole afternoon with her friend and Cole rehearsing for the wedding waltz.

At first she thought it a bit difficult to coordinate the steps, being a person who considered herself so clumsy, but as the days went by she picked up the pace and soon she and Cole were waltzing harmoniously. Diana had also had difficulties with the dance, but she had managed to overcome them during the daily rehearsals. Her date would be one of the cousins who lived in Charlotte Town, because Jerry had not accepted her invitation, claiming that he had no talent to be a dancer, which had left her very disappointed, but Jerry had promised her that he would be at the wedding party, a fact that had made her more excited with the prospect of seeing him during the event.

The wedding would take place on Friday. So when the last rehearsal ended on Thursday, Cole accompanied Anne to Green Gables so that they could talk a little more, since in the last few days they had few opportunities to catch up. They talked a lot about Paris, the courses that Cole was taking and another one that he intended to take, the places he had visited and his plans for the future, until Anne asked him:

- Well, Cole. You told me many things about your life in Paris, but you haven't told me so far if you've met anyone special there," Anne said curiously.

- Maybe. - Cole answered enigmatically.

- And this "maybe" has a name?- insisted Anne.

- Yes. His name is Pierre. - replied Cole a little shy. He was still not comfortable discussing his love life.

- Wow, what an interesting name! Where did you two meet?

- At the institute where I do my course in sculpture.

- Oh, so is he a sculptor like you?- Anne asked, trying to get as much information as possible, because she knew Cole wasn't one to talk about himself much, especially if it was matters of the heart.

- No, actually he's a painter. We're just friends, Anne. We haven't known each other very long. All we do is talk about our art while we're eating at some coffee shop in Paris.

- But, are you in love?

- It's too early to talk about passion. We get along, we have interests in common, but I don't know if it'll evolve into anything else. Although Pierre has shown a certain interest in me, I prefer to go slowly.

- But if you have feelings for him and he for you, why don't you talk about it?

- Why don't you take your own advice and tell Gilbert how you feel about him? - Cole took the opportunity to say so.

- When did this matter change for Gilbert and me? We're talking about you and not me. - Anne said she no longer thought it was funny the conversation she was having with Cole.

- Anne, how much longer are you going to deny what you feel? I told you more than once that Gilbert likes you.

- Cole, I don't think that's funny at all. Gilbert and I are totally different and we would never work out together. - Anne was uncomfortable and the feeling wasn't pleasant at all.

- How can you say that if you never tried to make it work? - Cole was now looking at her with that inquiring expression, which demanded an answer. Anne knew that side of Cole well, and he wouldn't settle down until he was satisfied with her answer. So she tried to buy time by changing the course of the conversation again.