Chapter 49- heart matters

ANNE

The sun's rays penetrated the windows of Anne's room, awakening her on that Sunday morning that promised to be splendid. She smiled happily and looked over to where Gilbert had spent half the night with her, and her smile widened. He had left on her pillow a red rose, and a little note that said:

"I went home while you were sleeping. You were so beautiful that I didn't have the courage to wake you. I miss you so much already. See you later. Love you. Gilbert."

Anne brought the note to her lips, inhaling the sweet smell of the rose he had left her, and her heart leapt with happiness.

In all those years she had never thought her life would be as enchanted as it was  then. At that moment she felt like the Princess Cordelia of her childhood, she had a castle that was Green Gables, and a handsome prince who was romantic, sweet, and whom she loved with all her heart.

It was so natural for her to wake up like that, feeling the warmth of his body still on the sheets. The only thing she regretted was that he had to leave her before daylight, because as he had said, they never knew when Marilla and Matthew returned from Charlotte Town, and she didn't want them to have a heart attack when they saw him leaving Anne's room.

The girl laughed as she imagined the scene. Although Marilla had practically given her blessing for Anne to live out her love with Gilbert any way she wanted, she certainly wouldn't want to see her home turned into a love nest for the two of them, so Anne knew that moments like that were precious, and only belonged to the two of them. She hoped that one day Gilbert would no longer have to go, and then her mornings would be perfect.

She took her morning shower and went downstairs, noticing that the house was silent, a sign that Matthew and Marilla were not back yet. She sat on the porch for coffee and remember the events of Diana's engagement.

Billy Andrews' face invaded her thoughts and she shuddered. Before, she thought he was just a spoiled kid from a rich family , used to getting everything he wanted without caring who he ran over along the way. But now Anne could see that he was worse than that. Billy was evil in the broadest sense of the word, his soul was empty, and in his eyes was a deep, dark well of evil. When she had seen him the night before trying to beat Josie and herself, she had thought with some regret that there was no hope for him, for Billy made no point of changing or learning from his mistakes, and it was a shame to see a life that could be so productive, sink into the mire of his iniquities.

Anne felt sorry for Josie. For a number of reasons, they had never f been friends, but Anne didn't mean her any harm. They had had many problems in the past, but as was Anne's nature she had put it all behind her.

Lately Josie always seemed to be upset about something, and had stopped picking on Anne. She had lost any interest in bothering her when she realized that Anne and Gilbert's flirting was a real fact. But now, thinking about it, Anne believed that Josie's sadness had to do with Billy, and that was a tremendous waste of time, because if Josie could look around she would see that there were plenty of boys more interesting than that scoundrel Billy Andrews.

Anne didn't see Josie after the incident at the party. Gilbert said that Muddy would be looking after her. She only hoped that Gilbert's friend had put some sense into Josie's head, and convinced her to report Billy to the police, because that's what he deserved to be in jail somewhere, to learn to have a little more respect for people, which he was sorely lacking.

Thoughts like that made her depressed, so she put them aside, trying to bring to her mind only pleasant memories, and as it couldn't be otherwise, thinking of good things led her to Gilbert.

He had saved her from Billy Andrews, he had cared for her afterwards when she felt so terrified she could barely breathe, and he had loved her again with such passion and care, that Anne had no way not to surrender her soul and body again.to the most amazing human being she had ever known. She knew it would always be this way, she would never love Gilbert halfway, he was the essence of her life, and without him there would be no sunny days or flowers in the spring.