Part 7 - Lost

ANNE

Anne left Gilbert's house devastated. She ran down the road towards Green Gables blindly, as the tears that rolled from her eyes ceaselessly made her eyesight difficult. She tried to control the sobbing that once or twice escaped her lips, but it seemed that a deluge of anguish that weighed in her heart. She came home exhausted and feeling weak, for she had not yet fully regained her strength, but she sighed with relief when she saw that neither Matthew nor Marilla were at home, so they would not fill her with questions she was not in the least disposed to answer.

She lay on the bed and covered her head. She wanted to be isolated from any noise, any light, anyone who could interrupt the course of her thoughts. She needed to reason calmly about everything that had happened between her and Gilbert.

She couldn't be in love with him, she was too unlucky. Of all the people in the world, did he have to steal her heart? Where has her good sense gone? She wanted nothing to do with love, she wanted no complications and no confused feelings, she was a free spirit, and therefore she didn't want to be stuck with anyone. Besides, Gilbert Blythe was forbidden ground for her, she couldn't forget Ruby, she saw him first, as she always liked to point out, and no girl had the right to get close to that boy, but the code of loyalty that existed between them had just been broken by Anne. What would she do now?

She fell asleep from so much thought, and when Marilla returned home she found her in a deep sleep. Sunday came and passed too quickly for Anne's taste, for the next day she would have to go to school and face her dilemma. What a nightmare!

She awoke on Monday with a headache, and Marilla, realizing her indisposition, advised her to stay home another day. It was a tempting invitation, Anne thought, but although her state of mind was terrible, she told Marilla she couldn't miss another day of school, so she kissed the old lady on the cheek and headed for school.

When all her friends arrived they surrounded her and wanted to know about the whole episode of the fire. Anne answered all the questions by monosyllables, because she was getting impatient with such indiscreet curiosity. She hated being the center of attention

When she went to store her stuff in the school closet, Billy Andrews came along and stopped her. Anne looked at him a little irritated and said:

- Would you please get out of my way?

- Try to get past me, you stupid redhead. - said the boy with disdain.

- You're an idiot, you pea brain. – Anne almost screamed, losing her temper.

- Pea brain? What's that, you crazy fool?" he asked with an annoying laugh.

- Look it up in a dictionary, maybe that way you can broaden your vocabulary. Oh, I forgot, you don't have one, since you can't even read properly. - Anne replied with irony.

- Is Billy bothering you, Anne? a voice close to her said with a certain authority.

"Oh, no! That's all I needed. Gilbert Blythe was playing my protector," Anne thought, then replied between her teeth:

- Stay out of it, Blythe. I can defend myself.

- I don't doubt it. - replied Gilbert, in the same tone.

- Hey, Gilbert. Why do you care about that stupid orphan? - asked Billy Andrews full of contempt.

- Ah. How dare you!" Anne shouted , and in a fit of rage stepped on his foot with the heel of her boots, and the boy came out shouting and jumping across the room on one leg.

- Lucky for you she didn't hit your head with a blackboard. – Gilbert said amused. Then he looked at Anne and realized that she was gazing at him with sparks of anger coming out of her eyes. She turned her back and went to sit in her desk. "Why is Gilbert always in my way?" I'm sure I've been cursed by the queen of the bad fairies." - Anne thought, sighed.

- Well, well. It seems we shall have an interesting morning, full of Anne's bad mood. Back to where you came from, redhead?" asked Josie, looking like a mocker.

- Shut up, Josie, or I might start troubling you. –Anne replied to the girl's provocation. "I would like to rip all the threads off that blonde head." - Anne thought, barely able to control herself...

- Look at that. The tiger showing its claws. I'm scared to death. - Josie kept teasing.

Diana, who hadn't spoken to her friend until that moment, but had realized she wasn't in her best days, decided to intervene. She was always in the middle of the crossfire between both of them, she was afraid that any day she would be caught by the fury of both.

- Hey, girls. Hold on. We're not in a fighting ring. Could you treat each other civilized?- As Diana spoke, Ruby looked at her friends almost crying, and said in an almost childish voice:

- You're not gonna argue here, are you? Everyone's looking. Even Gilbert.

Anne took a deep breath, counted to ten and said:

- No Ruby, you can stay calm. I'm not gonna waste my time arguing with this girl. I've got better things to do than spend my time on futility.

Josie was going to answer, but Ruby gave her a pinch, and she decided to keep quiet.

- Are you okay, Anne? asked Diana worried.

- I just have a bit of a headache, but it'll pass. - answered the girl.

- Did something happen between you and Gilbert? You seemed to be getting a little weird over there at the door.

- For God's sake, Diana! Even you? Why does everyone always decide to talk about this boy to me? Nothing happened. He was just being ridiculous as usual. - Anne answered in anger.

- I'm sorry, I didn't mean to offend you, I was just worried.

- I'm the one who has to apologize to you. I'm still not feeling very well, but I promise I'll get better," Anne said, trying to smile at her friend.

- That's all right. I'll help you, you'll be fine in no time. - Diana kissed Anne on the cheek.

When Anne heard that, she wasn't so sure of her friend's words. She didn't think things would get better. It seemed that a storm was coming and she was going to get caught in the eye of the cyclone, especially if Ruby found out about her feelings for Gilbert.

She instinctively cast a furtive look at where he was sitting and caught him staring at her. She immediately felt a chill in her spine, and her whole body shook nervously. Shee turned abruptly forward, and thought Gilbert wouldn't really make it easy for her. What did he want? having fun with her emotions? Playing with her heart? She didn't believe he could feel the same way she did. She didn't want to and she wouldn't believe that he wanted her. Gilbert Blythe could have anyone he wanted. There wasn't a girl in that town who wouldn't sigh for him. Why would he choose her, a redheaded, freckled orphan to own his affection? She definitely needed to get rid of that enchantment or she'd be lost. But wasn't she already?

Hello guys. I hope you can enjoy this part and tell me what you think. Sorry for any msitakes. Kisses.