Chapter 52 - Second chance

ANNE

Anne was smiling happily when she arrived at school on that sunny Thursday. Everything was perfect, Green Gables was prospering as it had not been for many years, and Matthew had finally managed to hire new employees to help him with the farm business, and he could finally get some well-deserved rest after years of growing and harvesting corn and coffee.

School was one of her favorite places now, without the ominous presence of Billy Andrews roaming the halls, and Josie's change had also helped Anne feel that wonderful sense of well-being. It felt so good not to have to defend herself against the irony, the mockery, and the gratuitous criticism. Even the air she breathed seemed lighter, and to prove it, Anne took a deep breath, and a flower scent entered her nostrils, making her think that this was the scent of happiness.

On top of all this, her relationship with Gilbert was getting better and better. They spent all their free time together, studied together, went for walks, went to the beach, and loved each other. This part of Anne's life was the most important for her, because to be with Gilbert in this way was to know things about herself that she would never have known if her destiny and his had never crossed. In time, she realized that being an orphan was no longer a problem for her, and because of this, other people stopped looking at her with pity. No one referred to her as the redheaded orphan anymore, she was now known as Anne of Green Gables, and she never again had to defend herself against the rudeness she had suffered in the past. She had more friends than she could remember, and her social life changed radically. She and Gilbert were often invited to parties or some other interesting event, and their lives were full of novelty and joy.

Anne loved the way things were going, and she was certainly having the time of her life, but if there was one thing she loved more than having a million friends, it was being Gilbert's girlfriend.

It wasn't just because Gilbert was the most handsome boy in school, or because his intelligence surpassed hers on almost every occasion. It was the way he took care of her and cared about the little things that made her happy that showed Anne that Gilbert was a rare person.

He never criticized anything she said or wanted to do, and he made no effort to fulfill all of Anne's wishes, because he had once said that he wanted to make up for all the lack of affection she had experienced, and he kept that promise every day with the attention he gave her, the love he showed in every gesture, and the constant support he gave her on every occasion.

Anne felt an enormous pride in him as well, mainly because of the strength of character that Gilbert let emerge in many moments, and his enormous dedication to what he considered really important.

Anne owed so much to Gilbert, especially for her maturing as a person. In a few weeks she would be 17, and she felt like a complete woman, and this personal satisfaction she had found in Gilbert's arms, and she could never thank him enough for it.

- Anne- Diana called out her name, interrupting her thoughts.

- Hi, Diana. - she kissed her friend on the cheek.

- Where's Gilbert?

- He's been coming in early to study with Miss Stacy and Muddy. Soon they have to take the official exams for the college scholarship, and he wants to be well prepared for the test. -

-And how is he doing in his studies? - Diana asked, as they both headed for the classroom.

- In my opinion, he is doing perfectly well, but you know Gilbert, enough is never enough for him.

- But we know he will pass. Gilbert has always been determined like this since he was a child, and I've never seen anything stop him from getting what he wants. - Diana said with conviction.