Part 26- A hard time

The idea of going to school that morning made Gilbert extremely happy. He had a memorable evening with Anne and would see her again in a few moments, and that was something that made him want to sing, dance, recite poetry, all at the same time.

How his life had changed in those months when he came home. Before he couldn't imagine living in quiet Avonlea again, but now it was the only place he wanted to be, and he knew that the main reason was Anne. She had turned his monotonous days into pure joy, he no longer cared about living on the farm because he knew that a few steps away from his door lived that beautiful little redhead who absorbed him completely. A day  was never like the other with Anne. Her sense of humor was very pleasant, she made him laugh all the time, even when she pretended she was angry with him. Her conversations were always stimulating, and Gilbert was never as bored as he usually was when he talked to other girls, because Anne had a connection with the words that impressed him, and talking to her was always an apprenticeship.

He had his breakfast alone because Bash had gotten up at sunrise to start work on the farm. So the boy took his books, an apple for lunch and went straight to school. As soon as he arrived he looked for Anne, but he  realized that she had not yet arrived. So he decided to study a little and concentrate all his energy on the complex text about biology that was before him.

A few minutes went by before Gilbert noticed a small movement at the school's front door. What he saw made him visibly irritated, for there were Anne and Diana in Cole's company. Would that boy now be stuck to Anne like gum? It bothered him a lot, but he didn't know why Cole had such negative feelings for him; He feared that Cole's constant presence would jeopardize their relationship, and he wasn't prepared to lose her that way.

When they were together, Gilbert could feel that the redhead shared all the emotions that came between them, but when Cole was with her, the insecurity tortured him, for Anne openly demonstrated how happy she was to be with her friend, touching and embracing him at every moment, and she never acted that way with Gilbert.

Jealousy was a terrible counsellor, Gilbert knew that, but he couldn't help but feel it eating away  his guts, because it hurt too much to see Anne so close to Cole and not be able to hug her showing everyone that she was his girl.

Gilbert tried not to look at them, pretending to be interested in the text of the book he was reading, but he couldn't really understand a word, as his thoughts flew away. Even when Miss Stacy joined Cole to talk about art for the class, he showed some interest, he felt so angry that he thought it best to keep his head down, so that no one, especially Anne, would notice his state of mind which worsened considerably when he saw Billy Andrews talking to Anne and Cole in a rude manner.

He went to her, wanting to protect her from that stupid boy who had tried to threaten her more than once, but Anne had simply given up his help when he said she and Cole had solved the problem on their own. Gilbert felt as if a right-handed punch had hit his stomach, and his eyes burned as if millions of sparks of wrath came out of them and spread around him. He wanted to strangle that boy, he wanted to hit him, throw him to the ground and tell him to stay away from Anne's life once and for all, but he'd just said it was all right and they'd talk later.

At that moment he was back in the room blowing off steam. He needed to calm down or he would end up doing something he would regret later, so he kept talking to Muddy about unimportant matters, trying to get his heartbeat back to normal again and placate his anger that was about to explode like a time bomb. When Anne passed him in class, Gilbert didn't even look at her. He didn't want to see her face happy that  he stayed all the time talking to her"french"friend.

At the end of class, Gilbert noticed Diana saying goodbye to Anne leaving her alone to go home, so he made a decision and went to talk to her. He offered to accompany her, and she seemed a bit strange at first, but accepted without blinking his company, saying she wouldn't go straight home, as she would visit her book club first. Gilbert thought it was a great opportunity, because it would give him more time with Anne. He needed to know how she felt about him, or he'd go crazy with such jealousy. He would find out about the truth of her feelings and he would do it that day.

 Hello, here we have a new part. I hope you can enjoy it and comment it. Kisses.