Chapter 50- What makes you stronger

ANNE

Anne had come home completely drenched, but the smile on her face denoted her happiness.The world could collapse outside, a flood could inundate all of Avonlea, and she would still be feeling the same way.

And she had good reason to. Cole's problem had been solved in the best possible way. It had been touching to see how her friend's parents had set aside such strongly held prejudices to give way to an absolute acceptance of their son's sexuality, driven by a love so great that it left no room for any other feeling.

What a pity that the world let itself be involved in hatred and did not open up to the new in a calm and serene way. Most people preferred to cultivate so many bad feelings, and ended up missing out on the best in life. Only a small majority were not afraid to throw themselves headlong into new perspectives, thus finding enormous possibilities for changing outdated thoughts, and enriching their existence with the positivity of the soul. Anne was really happy to see that Cole's fears had been unfounded and that he could finally have the life he deserved.

Her other part of happiness that day had been being with Gilbert again and getting to know yet another facet of his magnificent, but sometimes so complex, personality. When could she have imagined that he would feel jealous of her friendship with Cole and Diana? He had told her that he felt left out by her when the subject at hand was his friends, and Anne wondered if she had ever done this unconsciously, for she could not recall any occasion when she had deliberately ignored Gilbert because of his two friends. She had come to the conclusion that it was just a misunderstanding, cleared up in the most delightful way possible, in each other's arms.

Anne took off her wet clothes and went to the shower before Marilla lectured her like that, because the last time she had walked in the rain she had a horrible cold, which made her stay in bed and she didn't want to repeat the experience.

When they left the hunting lodge, the rain had almost completely died down, and a thin drizzle was falling, leaving the air cool and clear, but Anne and Gilbert seemed so wrapped up in each other that they didn't notice anything, just as they didn't notice when the rain started to increase.

They were caught in the totally unexpected storm, and they didn't care one bit. In fact, it had all turned out to be one big joke. They threw water on each other, danced in the rain, and also exchanged breathtaking kisses, and this was the part Anne enjoyed the most. She loved kissing Gilbert, because each kiss was a discovery, a new sensation to savor, a new emotion to experience. Gilbert's lips were so soft, and they kissed divinely. They were lips that teased her senses, that seduced her with a smile, lips made especially and only to kiss her.

She finished her shower, got dressed, and went downstairs for dinner shortly after. Marilla and Matthew had already gone to bed, because Anne arrived in Green Gables at dusk, so they ate before she did, leaving dinner in the oven. They both woke up early every day, and ended up going to bed soon after dinner; they were not so young anymore, and the weight of the years was already being felt on their bodies.

Anne skipped the soup that Marilla had prepared, and preferred a sandwich and a glass of milk. She went back to her room, brushed her teeth, and went to bed, because the next day she had class and needed to be rested. She woke up as soon as the clock struck, got ready quickly, ate breakfast, got her books and left. Marilia and Matthew were working outside, Anne waved to them and headed towards the school.

Winter was ending and the trees were beginning to come back to life. Soon it would be spring and the colorful flowers would take over, turning the world into one big party, and Anne loved this time of year, because she had the impression that all the sadness of winter was replaced by the joy that spring brought, and this warmed even the hardest of hearts.