Part 37- Moonlight promisses

ANNE

It was the first time Anne had dinner at Gilbert's house as his girlfriend, and that suit got on her nerves. She wasn't sure why she was restless. She knew Gilbert's family, and although he had no blood ties to Sebastian and Mary, the girl knew that their opinion was important to Gilbert.

The boy kept saying that Mary adored her, but she still felt her heart beat faster with the expectation of what was to come. Perhaps it was because now there was a commitment between them that did not exist before, and the old fear of not being adequate took overher thoughts like a ghost haunting her steps.

When she had told Gilbert about her fears, he had said it was nonsense. Mary and Sebastian would never have any reason not to accept her since they knew how important Anne was to him. And even if there was something bothering them in that case, Gilbert would never let anything in the world stand in their way.

They had this conversation on Sunday afternoon when Gilbert had come to visit Marilla. He took the opportunity to talk about his relationship with Anne, and the old lady had given her blessing by saying:

- I think I've won a son. - Gilbert hugged Marilla and gave her a kiss on the forehead, thanking her for the words that moved him too much. Later he and Anne talked about dinner, and the boy had reassured her:

- Mary is very happy that you accepted the invitation. - Anne had looked at him a little uncertain and said:

- Are you sure? Don't you think it's too early for that?

- What's happening, Anne? Are you sorry we're dating?- Gilbert frowned, staring at Anne worried.

- Of course not. I'm feeling so insecure that I end up talking rubbish. I'll never regret being your girlfriend. -she  stroked the boy's face with tenderness in her eyes.

- So, what are you afraid of? - Gilbert wanted to know.

So Anne told him her most secret fears. She'd been rejected all her life, and now that she finally seemed to be finding her place, she was afraid it would all suddenly end.

- Stop thinking nonsense. I love you, you know. Mary and Sebastian already love you like I do. No one will reject you, I promise.

Anne believed him, and how couldn't she ? All she had to do was look at Gilbert and feel all her fears go away. He always said what she needed to hear, and deep down in Gilbert's eyes she found the confidence to lower her guard and become stronger and more secure, at the same time realizing that she was becoming dependent on that smile and the presence of her boyfriend. She just couldn't define whether it was a good thing or a bad thing, but she felt happy and that was enough for her.

She took one last look in the mirror, analyzing her appearance. She wore a turquoise blue dress, a color she loved, and left her hair loose, because Gilbert liked them better that way. Her eyes sparkled, softening the lines of her face. For the first time in her life she felt beautiful, and she owed it to Gilbert too, for he always looked at her as if she were the most desired girl in the world, and it did her ego a great deal of good as a complex girl.

Anne left her room and went to say goodbye to Marilla. Shee knew that by the time she arrived the old lady would be asleep, so she didn't want to leave without talking to her. When she saw her come in, Marilla smiled:

- How beautiful you look. My little girl is growing up to be a beautiful woman.

- Thank you, Marilla. - Anne said, blushing with pleasure at the compliment.

- Who knew you'd start dating Gilbert Blythe? Though I've always been suspicious of your gratuitous implication for the boy. You always told me you'd never get married, and look at you, going all out to meet your boyfriend. - Marilla was amused by Anne's embarrassed expression.