Chapter 55 - A promise

ANNE

The day had dawned gray, and a noisy wind was blowing through the trees, making Anne feel even sadder. She looked out the living room window and saw heavy clouds forming in the sky, announcing that a storm was approaching. Anne loved the rain, but on this particular day, the scenery in front of her made her melancholic, although she had to admit that even in sadness there was a certain poetic beauty, and her writer's vein saw countless writing possibilities inspired by such a day.

She sighed, looked at her watch, and waited impatiently for Gilbert. They had agreed that he would take her to the station to say goodbye to Diana, and he was late. Her friend and Jerry would leave on the ten o'clock train that would take them to Charlotte Town, and from there they would take a ship to Paris. One of Diana's aunts would accompany them, and the girl was very excited about her first trip with her fiancé.

Although Anne was happy that her friend was going to pursue her personal fulfillment, she could not disguise her sadness at her departure. They had talked about it for the past two weeks, and Diana had promised she would be back soon. Anne had the feeling that an important part of her life was over, for when Diana returned, Anne herself would already be in college, and the carefree teenage years would have to be left behind in order to make room for adulthood, and both she and Diana would need to focus on other areas of their lives.

Diana wanted to get married and start a family, as she had never thought of pursuing a career. She had always told Anne that her dream was to become Jerry's wife, to build a beautiful house and to take care of it with care and love. Not that she didn't have other dreams, but she would be happy to manage her own home, and of course help Jerry establish himself as a successful lawyer.

Anne saw nothing wrong with this kind of dream. Some women felt fulfilled being mothers and wives, taking care of their homes with the same dedication they would have if they had a career. And Diana would do splendidly in that role. If Anne knew her friend well, she would lead her home with steady hands, while making Jerry a respected professional, for Diana was one of those women who would never live in her husband's shadow, she was not born to be a supporting player, but the protagonist of her own life.

A horn brought her out of her thoughts, and she realized that Gilbert had arrived. She stepped out onto the balcony, and he came toward her walking quickly.

- I'm sorry I'm late, Anne, but I had to help Sebastian with some farm business and it took longer than I expected. - she kissed him and said:

- That's okay. We still have plenty of time before Diana's train leaves.

- Good, I was worried. I thought I would make you miss her departure, and I would never forgive myself for that. - Gilbert said, adjusting the red beret he was wearing, matching his dark hair beautifully.

- I guess we can go then. Marilla and Matthew are working in the garden at this hour, and I said goodbye to them long before you arrived.

- So let's go. - He took Anne's hand, leading her to the car and opening the car door for her. She smiled in appreciation, and they both started their short trip to the train station, where Diana and Jerry were waiting for them to say goodbye.

As Gilbert drove, Anne closed her eyes and let her thoughts travel far away from there. She felt the wind brush her face and play in her hair, causing it to fly in a crazy dance of tangled and messy strands. She didn't mind. It was good to feel that caress massaging her soul, as if it could soothe that twinge on the left side of her chest that insisted on reminding her that Diana was leaving and had no date to return.

This realization made her even sadder, and it was no use telling herself that she was making a drama. She couldn't make the negative feeling go away. She would miss Diana terribly, and she couldn't even imagine what she would do without her around. Their friendship had grown stronger over the years, and there were few times they were apart. Now life presented them with the challenge of making sure that the distance never reached their hearts, and turned the bond that had united them into just a fleeting memory of what they had once meant in each other's lives.