Chapter 51- Dreams

GILBERT

Gilbert closed the book he had been reading, and rubbed his tired eyes with the back of his hands. He had been studying for the scholarship test for two weeks, and it seemed that the more he studied, the less he knew. He had thought about giving up several times, but Anne had not allowed it. She was his point of support and balance, without her he didn't know how he would manage the long hours of nervousness and anxiety. Anne believed in his abilities more than he did, and Gilbert was terribly afraid of disappointing her, because he could live with the possibility of failure, but he couldn't stand the look of disappointment on Anne's face if he didn't pass.

At first she had tried to help him study, but she had given up when she realized that her presence was only a distraction, as Gilbert spent more time with his hands in her hair or kissing her than studying.

However, Gilbert had protested that it was not his fault if Anne was so beautiful that he could not keep his hands off her, or that looking at her was far more interesting than studying math formulas and more formulas. But, Anne had put her foot down and said that he should have focus, because she didn't want to be responsible for his poor performance on the test.

So Gilbert had been bogged down for two long weeks with books and no Anne. Except for the times he had at school with her, they hadn't really been alone since that day at the little club he had rebuilt, and Gilbert was itching to be able to be with her again. He missed feeling Anne's breath against his chest while she slept, or seeing her smile in that naughty way that showed off her charming dimples. He was totally addicted to her way of looking at him as if he was the only thing that mattered to her, the same way he loved having her around all the time, and not having her there at that moment was making him too needy.

He got up from the chair he had been sitting in since he got home from school, and massaged the base of his spine that was sore from being in the same position for so long, and went downstairs to the kitchen where Mary was preparing the family dinner. When she saw him she said, smiling;

- I was just about to bring you a snack. Sit down and eat. - and put a ham and cheese sandwich and a glass of orange juice on the table. - And how are your studies going so far. - Mary asked interested. Gilbert ran his hands through his hair and said as he took a bite of the delicious sandwich:

- I have the impression that my brain can't absorb all the information I need.

- Maybe you should stop for today, and continue tomorrow. You look exhausted. - Mary remarked.

- I can't stop now. I have to keep studying, otherwise I won't have enough time to prepare for the test.

- Gilbert, you've been studying for weeks, and today I didn't even see you come down for breakfast. Don't you think you're overdoing it? You need rest or you'll get sick. And that won't help you at all on the tests.

- I know, but I really need to study harder. - Gilbert said in a tired voice.

- Gilbert, what's really going on? I know that you really want to go to medical school and that this scholarship is very important to you. I've seen you committed to your studies before, but now you seem obsessed with the subject and that's not good. I want to know the real reason for your obstinacy in passing this test. - Mary said, showing her concern for him.

- Anne. -he said finally.

- Anne? What does she have to do with your subtle need to bury yourself in your studies like this? - Mary asked, frowning.

- The problem is that Anne believes I will pass this test easily, and I don't want to disappoint her.

- And you think she wants you to kill yourself studying like this? - Mary asked in amazement