Chapter 32

Hatake Kaiyo P.O.V.

"Did you know, that ojiisama died by taking his own life?" My eyes widen slightly and I turn around. "Which one?" I ask. "Hatake Sakumo" Natsumi says, as she leans against the doorway. So it really does run in the family. "How do you know?" I ask. "Otosan told me" Natsumi says. "And why are you telling me?" I ask. "Just wondered if you knew" she answers shrugging before leaving. I sigh deeply before leaving my room as well. "Oyaji, do you know where Gai-san is right now?" I ask. Dad looks up a little surprised. "Gai? I guess he would be at home or at the training field. Why?" He asks. "Doesn't matter" I say as I leave the room. It doesn't take long before I find Gai. He is, as dad said, at the training field. "Can I ask something, Gai-san?" I ask. He looks up at me a little surprised. "Kaiyo? Well yeah of course" he says. I sit down in front of him. "What can you tell me about Hatake Sakumo?" I ask. This surprises Gai even more. "Your Ojiisan? Shouldn't you ask your father this?" Gai asks. "Probably. But I wanted an unbiased opinion. And then I thought who would've known him and the only people I could think of that are still alive are you and Tsunade-sama and she's not easy to reach these days" I say. "My opinion of Sakumo isn't unbiased" Gai says amused. "Could you please tell me about him?" I ask. "In my eyes your ojiisan was a hero. Though he was vilified by the land of fire, and the villagers of konoha" Gai says. "Why?" I ask a little surprised. "Because he abandoned a mission to save his friend. And back then that was a no go" Gai says. "It eventually brought him so much shame that he took his own life" Gai says and I sadly look down at my feet. "That's why I said you should probably ask your father" Gai says kindly.

Absently I pet the Dalmatian sitting between my legs. "Word is you've been asking questions about my father" Dad says as he sits down on the engawa next to me. "Why didn't you just ask me?" He asks. "Why didn't you tell me he committed suicide?" I ask. "Why didn't you tell me you had suicidal thoughts?" Dad asks in return. I immediately look at him. "How did you know?" I ask surprised. "Did you really think that any of my adorable students can keep a secret from me?" Dad asks amused. I sigh deeply turning my gaze toward the Dalmatian. "I didn't want to worry you" I mumble. "Yet I still did, the only thing was I didn't know what it was" dad says. "You're my son. My first born. I'll always worry about you" he says as he puts my hand on my back. "So it kind of runs in the family huh?" I ask. Dad chuckles. "Well. I don't know. Your ojiisan committed suicide out of shame. I was depressed because of loss and loneliness. You lost a very dear friend. Feelings are not hereditary" dad says as he strokes some escaped strands of hair behind my ear. "So tell me about him" I say, smiling slightly. "Well. He was very strong. Rumor was that his powers were on par with those of the legendary sannin"  Dad says, smiling proudly. "Besides that he was very kind and very loyal. Besides that he was very humble. And he loved me very much" Dad looks at me and smiles brightly. "And I know he would adore you and Natsumi" he says, laying his hand on my head. "Probably Natsumi a little more though" I say. Dad laughs. "Maybe. But you would be his pride." Dad says. "I wish I could meet him" I say softly. "I wish you could too my boy" Dad sighs as he takes back his hand. "I wish I could've introduced your mother to him. And that he would've been here when you two were born. But I'm sure he's watching over us" Dad says softly.

I kneel down at my grandfathers grave. "I'm sorry I haven't been here before, Ojiisama" I whisper as I put down flowers. "It's usually Otosan his private time when he comes here, we don't want to bother him so please don't blame him. He talks about you plenty" I say, smiling. "Kaiyo? I haven't seen you here before" I look up to see Mirai. I stand up. "Hey" I say. "You're visiting your father?" I ask. "Yeah, who are you visiting?" She asks as she walks over. "My grandfather" I answer looking down at the grave. "I've been thinking about him a lot lately. But the grave is clean so I think Oyaji visits him regularly" I say. When I feel her arm around my waist, I lay my arm on her shoulders. "Only logical right, it was his father right?" She asks. "I guess. Have you ever been ashamed of your dad?" I ask. "Never" Mirai says. "Why?" She adds. "My father told me that for a while he was. But that had something to do with how the villagers talked about my grandfather." I say. Mirai looks up at me. "How do you feel?" She asks. "About my father or my grandfather?" I ask. "Your grandfather" Mirai smiles. "I'm proud of him. I wish I could've met him" I say. "That's what's important then right?" She asks. I smile and press a kiss against her temple. "So you're not avoiding me" she grins. "I would never. I'm sorry, I've been dealing with some stuff" I say. "Yeah I thought you would. I was teasing. We're all missing Ginjiro very much. I know you two were close" she says. I close my eyes. "Can we please not talk about Ginjiro" I whisper. "I'm sorry" Mirai says. "Don't be. Go visit your father. Shall we meet up later today?" I ask. "I'd like that" Mirai smiles. I press another kiss on her head before leaving the cemetery.