Chapter 21

Hatake Kaiyo P.O.V.

With my head on Mirai's lap I look at the leaves dancing in the wind. "It feels like ages since we've seen each other" Mirai says softly, as she runs her fingers through my hair. "I'm sorry" I rub my eyes. "Nanadaime keeps sending me on missions, probably to keep my mind of my mother" I sigh. "I'm not blaming you Kaiyo-kun. Besides, I've been on missions too" she says. I lift myself slightly, to bring my face closer to hers. "I've missed you" I say, seriously as I lay my hand on the back of her head, and pull her down to me before kissing me softly.  "I've missed you too" she whispers against my lips before kissing me again. I sigh as I lay my head back on her lap. "How is you're mother doing?" She asks. "I think she's in more pain, more sick than she leads on. She acts like everything is all right and she's just tired often. But I heard her cry when Toochan was helping her shower last night. Saying she couldn't take it anymore" I say. Mirai frowns. "What did Rokudaime say?" Mirai asks. "That it was just for a little while longer, that she could do it" I sigh. "When is she going into surgery?" Mirai asks. "Day after tomorrow" I answer. She raises her eyebrows. "Day of the exam?" She asks. Of course she knows.. "yeah. Toochan and Natsumi can't be there which sucks. But I made sure I'd be here." I say. "Naruto-niichan will probably stop by the hospital too" I sigh before sitting up. "Don't worry. Your mother will be fine. She's strong" Mirai smiles encouraging. "I hope so, I really do" I say. Mirai lays her hand on mine. "She will" I lay my head on her shoulder. "Thank you" I mumble.

I usually hated in when my mother asked me to clean, but these days I clean to make sure she won't. She's going into surgery tomorrow and it has to be clean before she comes back. I scrub the bathroom and the kitchen and after dusting the whole house, I vacuum. While doing this I do the laundry. I'm just hanging the laundry in the garden to dry when I hear my mother's voice. "You don't have to do this" I smile before turning around. " of course I do" I say. I take the basket and walk over to her. "How'd you sleep?" I ask before pressing a kiss on her cheek. "Just fine" she says. "You want some tea? I'll make some for you" I say as I walk inside. "I can make tea myself Kaiyo" mom says amused. "I know you can, but you need to preserve your strength for the surgery tomorrow." I say. Mom sighs as she sits down on the couch. "You nervous?" I ask. "A little" she answers honestly. "Are you?" She asks. I crouch down before the couch and take her hand on mine. "I am. Very much" I lay my cheek against the back of her hand. "There's no need. I'll be fine, and everything will go back as it used to be" she says softly as she lays her free hand on my head. "I hope so, Okaasan" I say, with a trembling voice. I look up to her and mom smiles at me gently. "I'll go make your tea" I say after clearing my throat while standing up. "I love you" I kiss my mother on her head. "I love you. You're really sweet. Thank you for helping your dad so much" she says. "Of course" I say smiling.

I lean with my butt against the cabinet and cross my arms in front of my chest as I look at both my mom and my dad. "So, how'd she do?" I ask. "97%" dad says, slightly smiling. "That's pretty good" Mom says, smiling proud. "It is, just two got the full 100%. So she's third from her entire class" father says and he really does sound proud. "She still doesn't know you're taking the exam tomorrow?" I ask. Dad chuckles and shakes his head. "No, but we really tried to keep this a secret. Especially from her" he says. "She isn't stupid you know" I say amused. "She isn't, but she really doesn't know." Mom says. "That's a good thing I guess" both mom and dad nod. "Is she ready?" Mom asks. "Ready enough." I sigh, looking up at the ceiling for a moment, before looking back at the both of them. "Of course there's no academy student in the world that could take on Oyaji" I say, grinning. "But she's ready enough" I add. "I'm very curious. I really am" dad says. He lays his hand on moms shoulders and kisses her head. "I'll go make some tea" with that he walks over to the kitchen. I allow myself to fall onto the couch. "She'll be fine" I say. "She's smart. She'll understand what she has to do" I say. "I hope she does. It's something I've thought you from the very beginning" dad says as he walks in with the tray and the tea. "Please tell me what happened as soon as possible" Mom says. "As soon as you wake up" I promise. "Well, it's an 24 hour exam. So you'll probably hear it the next day, Anata"  he says as he puts the tray in the table and lays his hand on hers. "But you're probably the first she'll tell" he smiles encouraging at her and as do I.