Chapter 5

Hatake Kaiyo P.O.V.

"Tadaima!" I say as I close the front door behind me. There's no response but I do hear sounds coming from the living room. I take off my shoes and walk over, I'm about to say hello happily but don't when I see Natsumi on mother's lap, holding her tightly while crying. Mom has her arms wrapped around her and strokes her hair. "What's going on?" I ask. Mom looks at me, she looks sad. "Pakkun?" I ask. She nods. "Where is Toosan?" I ask. "He's burying him" mom says softly. I turn around. "Leave him alone Kaiyo" mom says. "Yeah...I-I just need some air" I say, leaving again. I grab my phone as I make my way through town. "See you at the spot?" I send to Mirai. I wait for her on the field above the stone heads. "Hey, you okay? It sounded urgent" I turn around when I hear her voice. "H-he died" I say softly. "Oh no, come here" Mirai pulls me in her arms for a hug and as soon my arms are wrapped around her I can't help but cry softly. "It's okay" she says softly as I feel her fingers through my hair. "Look at me, sobbing like a baby for a puppy" I mumble. "He was family, it's okay" Mirai says softly. I sniffle and wipe away my tears before looking at her. She smiles before I softly press my lips against hers. Mirai doesn't kiss back. I immediately let go and step back. "I-I'm sorry!" I say quickly. "N-no.." Mirai says softly. "I shouldn't have done that... I'm sorry Mirai-chan" I say panicking. "I-it's..." Mirai says. I interrupt her again. "I should go, I'm sorry" I turn and leave. "K-Kaiyo wait!" Mirai shouts but I ignore it, running away as I feel again tears running down my cheeks, feeling even more heartbroken than before while turning off my phone.

It's past midnight when I finally arrive home. Both my parents are still awake, both sitting on the couch with tea and a book. Icha Icha in my fathers case.  They look at me, as I sit down across from them but don't judge. "You okay?" Dad asks softly. "Are you?" I ask. Dad smiles as he looks at mom, she smiles back at dad. "I will be. These things take time" he says. I sigh as I slouch down. I look at my phone, the missed calls and texts from Mirai if we can talk and where I am. "I'm not" I mumble, dropping it beside me. "Something tells me it isn't just about Pakkun" dad says. "It's not" I mumble. "What happened?" Mom asks. "She comforted me, and I kissed her. She didn't kiss back" I say. "So what happened?" Mom asks. "What happened? I ran of course" I say, slightly annoyed. Mom sighs deeply. "I never should've done that" I say, looking toward the window even though the curtains are closed.  "Grief makes you do crazy things" dad says. "I bet you never kissed  someone because of grief" I say. Both mom and dad chuckle. "Actually I did" he says "I just kissed back" mom adds. "Oh yeah that makes me feel a whole lot better" I groan, slouching even more down and grabbing pillow. "I didn't say it so make you feel better" dad chuckles. "It'll be fine, Kaiyo. Just talk to her.." mom says. "How can I ever face her after kissing her like that?" I ask pressing the pillow against my face. "Your phone keeps buzzing, so I'm guessing over here that she wants to talk" I take the pillow off my face and press it against my chest as I look at my parents annoyed.

I lean my forearms on my knees while staring at my Genin team foto on my desk. I look at my phone next to me, which has again messages from Mirai. I close my eyes hurting when the door opens. "I won't allow you to stay in your bed all day Kaiyo" mom says annoyed. "I'm not in bed. I'm dressed, sitting on my bed" I say, looking at her. "I'm not in the mood for your lip service boy" the look on her face betrays her annoyance. "Allright I'm coming" I sigh. I stand up and take my phone. "Don't forget to make your bed" she says as she leaves, taking my laundry basket. I make my bed and go down. I see dad sitting on the back porch reading Icha Icha. "Look who decided to join the land of the living" he says amused. "I wasn't sleeping" I say. "Then what were you doing?" He asks. "Sitting, thinking. Natsumi back at school?" I ask. "Yeah. She just had a mild concussion. And it's nearly noon, of course she's at school son" I sit down next to my father and I sigh. "Why does it hurt so much Oyaji?" I sigh. "It only means it's real son. It means you have to talk to her though" he says. "I really don't want to" I say. Mom sits down next to me. "It will be awkward yeah, but you need to sweetheart" she hands me a cup of tea. I lay my head on her shoulder. "You never know for sure if she really doesn't have the same feelings for you or it was just a misunderstanding and you surprised her" mom says softly as she lays her hand on my cheek. "Look at you" mom chuckles. "Tough guy with his pierced ears and jewelry, still needing his mommy" I sit up sighing,looking annoyed at my mother. "Don't be like that. I like it. I love you" mom presses a kiss on my cheek before standing up and walking back into the house. I look at my dad, who's looking back into his book. "Do you have time to train with me, later today?" I ask. "Of course" he says.