Chapter 59

"What happened, Kairavi?" Subhadra turned to Arni when she didn't respond to her inquiring about the quality of jewelry and garments from Tripura.
The trays were sprawled over Yadhwi's bed. Soon, handmaidens came in with more caskets and trays, carrying mukuts next.

"You look disturbed." She sat up from her leaning position.
Kairavi's arched eyebrows and fidgety hands gave away the uneasiness that was already evident on her face. Her vision flickered towards her sister-in-law.

"Jiji, the tension is eating me up from the inside." She put a hand over Subhadra's knee. "Ishwar knows what is happening over there."

"I was scared too. But then I recalled that mata is present over there, along with others.
Nothing wrong will happen until Pitamah Bhishm, Kakashree Vidur, Jyeshth Mata Gandhari, and Tatshree are sitting in the dyut sabha."

Her reasons didn't quite suppress the restlessness in Chandreya's brooding mind.
She peered at the door, anticipating some news from Hastinapur. "Listen to me, Kairavi." Subhadra caressed her cheek lovingly.

"This is not healthy for the baby or you. Have faith in God and our elders, hmm?" The anxious daughter of the moon sighed and nodded to her statement.

"How do you like that one?" Yadhwi pointed at a white silkened saree, with a heavy silver border. She gestured the dasi to bring it to them so that they could have a better look at it.
"It's simple but splendid." Kairavi smiled in agreement, as she ran her hands on the smooth fabric.

While walking towards the other end of the chamber, a maid tripped over the carpet lying under the queens' feet

The plate holding Alta in her hands tumbled down, and the crimson dye fell over the ivory garment, ruining it.

"Eeeek!" Subhadra's shrill scream hit Arni's eardrums like a spear.
"Are you blind? Look at what you've done!" She raged at the dasi, who quickly began cleaning up the mess.

Chandraja scrunched up her face, as the alta had splashed over her arms as well. She looked down to find a few patches of red, sitting on the netted cloth, veiling her womb.

 She looked down to find a few patches of red, sitting on the netted cloth, veiling her womb