Chapter 7

His breath stank of alcohol. Vajrahanu pulled and dragged her to the stone statue. Kairavi struggled to keep her eyes open during the assault, her body was giving up on her. She hit his arm multiple times in an attempt to break free but the weak blows didn't even bother him.

A colt was tied at the altar, ready to be sacrificed. It's pitiful grunts caught her attention while she stumbled and tripped under the rascal's arm. He threw her before the diety and said, "We're getting married. Right here and now." The crowd behind him hollered in excitement. "And then I'll chop this animal's head to please our devta." They all cheered louder.

There was no way she was going to let that happen, she needed an escape plan quick. But the pain wasn't letting her think.
"Bhratashree..." she whispered.

Karna was frantically searching in the woods but unfortunately, he couldn't find any more trails of her.  After a while, he gave up the search and pulled out his bow.
A celestial arrow appeared just as a mantra left his lips. "O divine arrow," he prayed, "kindly help me find my sister." He pulled the bowstring and shot it in the air. It flew to a distance and landed near Kairavi's feet, leaving a shiny blue streak along it's path.

The sudden arrival startled everyone. They picked up their arms, prepared to attack the raider. The intoxication made it hard for them to stand straight. Now was her chance.
A defeaning scream filled the mob leader's ears. It sounded like a woman but he wasn't sure if he had heard it. "Did anyone hear that?" he demanded. "Hear what, my lord?" "A woman." he replied. It happened once more, confirming all his doubts. "Someone is crying out for help there." he claimed.

It was Kairavi screaming in his mind, making him question his sanity. But that wasn't enough. She paused and screamed again, this time in everyone's mind. She kept on doing it until they were convinced that it was real. Vajrahanu ordered his men to split into two groups and investigate.

They mounted their horses and rode off to find the lady while he stayed back to look over Kairavi. Little did they know, it was their death that was luring them in.
On the other hand, Radheya had started following the streak and was proceeding fast towards the princess. Soon, he was met with the clan that was on the quest to find the 'damsel in distress'.

"Where is my sister, you scamps?" he yelled at the group. They all started doubling up in laughter. "So it's your sister, huh? She's at our base with our leader. Wouldn't you come with us to bless her and your brother-in-law?" one jeered.
"Stop rambling and set her free if you don't want to meet your end right this second." Karna warned. "You'll kill us? You're outnumbered, son. Go back and forget about her, she's our property now." This was enough to make his anger go overboard.

"I'm Parshuram's student. I can kill a hundred of you with a single arrow." Nobody paid heed to his ultimatum. And within the blink of an eye, every member of Vajra's clan was decapitated. The other group came to their rescue but were met with the same fate.

Vajrahanu was waiting eagerly for his men to bring in the second girl. But instead of hearing the helpless cries of a woman, he heard his dying mob wailing out in pain. The upheaval drew his attention away from Kairavi and taking advantage of the situation, she plodded towards the colt and untied it. It scampered free and fled from the scene.

Then she stood up with shaking legs and wobbled away from the place. But soon Vajra caught up and yanked her hair. "Where do you think you're going?" he said with gritted teeth. Kairavi fought his tight grip so good that the drunk wretch struggled to keep her captive. In the wrestle, neither of them realized that they were standing at the edge of a rocky cliff.

"LET HER GO!" echoed a voice from behind. "Bhrata Karna!" she called out in relief. He stood with an arrow girded in his bow, ready to deprive Vajrahanu of his existence. "Put your weapon down or I'll throw her off the cliff." Vajra threatened. Karna refused to comply; instead he drew the bowstring closer, signalling his attack. With no choice left, the dacoit shoved the princess down the precipice. She let out a blood-curdling scream just as the arrow left Karna's bow, beheading Vajrahanu.

"Kairavi!" he cried in shock as he helplessly watched her fall, the sharp rocks stabbing her petite frame on the way down. Uncontrollable sobs began wrecking in his body and he started thrashing the ground in contrition. Her lifeless, blood-covered body thumped to the ground. "Why did I promise to save you when I knew you were cursed?" he wept.

"What is the point of having this valor if I can't even save my sister from dying. Forgive me my dear, I'm a failure." he bawled with the sorrow of Kairavi's death ripping his heart apart.