Chapter 13

"What is your problem with her Nakul?!" Sahadev yelled at his twin, who stood frozen in place. "Have you forgotten how to behave with ladies all of a sudden? You shouldn't be even allowed to go anywhere near her!" He ranted but Nakul wasn't listening. He was worried whether he'd ever be able to settle things right with Kairavi and tell her why he was being so petty.

The guilt was stabbing him from inside and Sahadev's rebukes weren't helping it either. He clenched his fists and squeezed his eyes shut as so many feelings washed over him, just like the swells of water engulf the shore of an ocean.

"Do you know how dirty you've made her feel?" Sahadev barked at him. He flung his arms in the air after getting absolutely no reaction from his brother. He marched up to him, seething with anger and shook him violently, "Do you even realize how you treated our guest? She never was rude to you; rather you were the one who called her a maid, an intruder, enemy's sister, thirsty for me and what not!"
He was right, and even Nakul agreed, but his anuj rubbing it on his face like that made him feel like a turd. He shoved him away, "Don't touch me!"

"If your massive ego didn't let you apologize to her, then why did you go forward to pester her even more!" He was shouting at him now. The rest of the brothers and Kunti came rushing to the scene hearing the upheaval. "What's going on?" Yudhishthir asked with concern. The 5 of them had never been even in an argument with each other, lest in a show of hands. They were known for their brotherhood and harmony.

Sahadev and Nakul glared at each other, shooting daggers from their vision. Sahadev lurched at him and hit him straight in his eye. "Sahadev!" Bheem and Arjun dove in to get them off of each other.
The twins struggled under the strong grips of their elder brothers while screaming profanities at each other. "You wanted to know if she was mad in love with me huh? Guess what, the feeling's mutual!"

"You met her yesterday, you desperate dimbo!" Nakul screeched back. "Enough!" Kunti snapped. "What has gotten inside of you two? I can't believe my eyes right now.
Your mother left you two in my care believing that I'd keep you all united like pearls on a string. Think about Madri, think about your father. Would they be happy with this behaviour?" she croaked.

"Would there be any difference left between us and Kauravas if we begin seeing each other in the form of rivals?" Yudhishthir added. The twins calmed down and stormed off to their respective rooms.

"Mata, would this girl rip us 5 apart?" Bheem anxiously asked. "They both like her, but she can only be with one man. Whoever she marries, the other will get insecure and might hold a grudge forever." Yuvraj stated the truth flatly.
"No. My sons would never have ill-feelings for each other." her voice quaked with pain. "How will I show my face to Madri and Maharaj Pandu in heaven, Yudhishthir?"

"They were fighting like animals, mata. It was hard to watch, please do something." Arjun implored. "If none of us have a solution, then I'll go and seek help from their biological fathers. They'd provide the best interest for their sons." Kunti suggested.
She trudged past them and paraded towards the balcony of her room. By centering worry in her mind and pity in her heart, the poor mother invoked the Ashwinis. "O lords of medicine, be kind enough to help me take your sons out from this sudden hatred. I can't let my motherhood fail so easily." she beseeched.

The twin devtas appeared before her within a couple of minutes. "Please show me a path out of this dilemma, devas. I can't see them like this. Today, they threw fists; what if they pick up their shastras against each other tomorrow?" she weeped bitterly. "We understand your concern Kunti. We are equally responsible for our sons as well." Nasatya consoled her.

"You might not know, but right now, the reason that's breaking them apart is going to hold them together in the future, devi." Dasra said. Kunti's sobs subsided as she heard him say that. "Yes, Kunti. Kairavi is destined to marry both of Madri's sons."

Kunti looked like she had been hit on the face with a brick. "But my lord, how can a woman marry two men? That's a grave sin." she perused. "The queen of apsaras, Rambha has two husbands- Tumburu and Nalakuvara and the great daughter of Bhu devi is a Mahapativrita stree. She has married the saptrishis. All of them hold a place in heaven. Would you call them sinners?" One of them countered.

Kunti fell silent at their first argument. "But what about the society? Wouldn't they condemn and shame her for marrying 2 men?"
"The purpose of your sons' life is to establish dharm on Earth. And that wouldn't be achieved if they turn against each other. And moreover, the society will criticise her even if she marries one of them; for being the reason of disharmony among pandavas." Nasatya corroborated.

"Now it is your job to persuade her to agree to this marriage. It certainly is a first, but she won't be the only one to bear the snide remarks and taunts of society." Dasra concluded. It was time for them to leave, so they mounted on their divine chariot and rode off back towards the sky.

Kunti didn't have the heart to ask Kairavi for such an enormous sacrifice. But she had no other solution for the problem, if Kairavi didn't marry her two sons, they'd turn into enemies.
Defeated by the circumstances, she slumped to the ground feeling numb.