Chapter 9

"Grahil!" called another youth from a distance. Amidst the conversation with the moon princess, he had finished repairing his wagon. "I have to take your leave now, kumari. My brother is calling me." He got behind the vehicle to push it away.
"But Grahil mahoday." Kairavi stopped him. "How far is Varnavrat?" "It might take 2-3 days if you travel by foot." he apprised. "Would there be any dacoits or ogres in the way?" she questioned in a small voice.

Grahil let out a hearty laugh. "Seems like you were going to seek protection in Hastinapur. Who knows, you might find protection for your whole life in Varnavrat?"
"Huh?"
"I mean, nothing bad can happen where our beloved Yuvraj reigns." he explained. She was quite satisfied with the answer, because Karna had mentioned Yudishthir multiple times during their ashram days. He had not spoken a single lie in his lifetime and never let even a chunk of adharma and anyaya enter his mind.
Kairavi looked up to her brother for his benevolence. Although Karna saw Arjun as his rival but, he didn't have anything against his brothers.

She and Grahil parted ways, and three days later, she stood in front of the beautiful palace of Varnavrat. Architect Purochan had truly created a masterpiece; the building from top to bottom was a treat to the eyes.
Strangely enough, there were no soldiers guarding the palace. Not a single one. But that meant easy access to the palace for Kairavi. She happily sauntered past the huge gate and into the garden.

On walking close to the mansion, she noticed that it gave out a weird stench. She wondered what materials must've been used to construct it but soon gave up. She was more interested in exploring the corridors, halls, the battlements and the keep; for she had never been to a palace before.

The hallways were unusually empty. Were there no servants to tend the needs of the royal family? 'But who cares, as long as there are no servants, I can roam around without hesitation.' she chuckled to herself.

A small kaksh came into view upon reaching the back garden. She snooped around the corner and saw a few men and one lady preparing food for their guests. "So, there are the helpers."
To avoid getting caught, she traced her steps back into the chateau. 'I should go out and check out the town as well. Bhrata Karna used to say I'd get to see numerous shops, houses and-'

"Dasi!" The voice of a man demanded from behind. Kairavi was pulled out of her thoughts abruptly and reflexively, she turned around to see who it was. She found a handsome, tall and muscular prince standing at the other end.

The sunlight peeping through grills of the window kissed his dark skin, making it hard for the princess to take her eyes off him. He wore a purple dhoti and an orange angavastra was draped neatly on his left shoulder. The golden ornaments that embraced his torso shone in the bright light. She assumed that he was one of the princes from his attire. They both looked at each other for a while, visibly smitten by their appearances.

'Who is he?' she pondered while admiring his perfection, head lightly dipped to one side.

Her eyebrows scrunched up in annoyance.
'Yes, who is he to call me a dasi? Do princes not have any manners?'

"I'm not a dasi." she said bitterly. "Then who are you? And what's your business here?" his deep voice was very intimidating.
"Who are you to question me like that?" Kairavi shot back.