Chapter 29

"Pardon me, munivar. But I don't want to pelt my sons into the mouth of death anymore." Kunti objected, her voice stern.

"A mother is bound to be concerned about her son's safety and welfare. But ask yourself; are you the mother of just these five warriors?"

Her heart climbed up her throat on hearing the sage's words. No, she wasn't just the mother of five.

Her womb had borne another valiant progeny, who was ready to slaughter her youngest son at any given time.
The part of Surya Narayan, who thought he belonged to the abyss.

The day she submitted her first son to the current of river Ganga flashed before her eyes. The cries of the infant, the divine armour, that clanked as the water tossed the basket, rang in her ears.

"You are a Rajmata. Arthat, mother of the entire kingdom. Hastinapur's subjects are your children, Kunti. Is it not your responsibility to think about their safety and welfare as well?

Do you think a prince, who has always trodden the track of adharm, lies and malevolence, can provide prosperity to the praja?" She breathed a sigh of relief, knowing that her secret was safe.

Mahamuni wasn't wrong either. Yudhishthir was the rightful heir of the throne; not just rightful but righteous as well. Duryodhan could never provide happiness to the people of his nation. And as long as Gandhar Raj was his guide, even the Kuru family was bound to suffer.

"Kunti, sometimes you too, have to sacrifice something for the greater good.

Take an example of your kulvadhus; all three of them. Is it justice on your part, to just take things from others and not give anything in return?" He paused.

"What do you know o sage, for my son, Karn has already been sacrificed at the feet of those sinners?" a barely audible whisper fell out her lips.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Keshav says,

"Jis prakar ret ko adhik samay tak hatheliyon me roka nahi jaa sakta; ussi prakar,
satya bhi manushya ke ankush se choot hi jaata hai.

Manushya dusron ki pratikriya ke bhay se, usse nirantar chipane ka prayas karta rehta h.
Kintu,

Satya ka svabhav hai prakat hona.

Wo kisi ke vachno, kisi ke karmo ya kisi ke vyavhar se sabke samaksh aa jaata hai.
Toh kya vastav me sahi samay pe tathya ko bolna, nirbhayta ka dusra roop nahi hai, sakhi?"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Mata?!" Kunti's head darted towards Kairavi's direction. She realized her putravadhu had been standing right next to her this whole time; and the words that fell out of her mouth, had found their way to Chandraputri's ears.

The eyes which usually sheltered gentleness, were now looking at her with pure hatred and disgust. "What happened?" Sahadev asked.
"Nothing Arya. We will talk about it later. She smothered the situation, seeing Kunti's pleading eyes.

'Every criminal should be given one chance to justify their actions.' came a voice from within.

"We shall go back to Hastinapur tomorrow. I'm sure, tatshree and Vidur will not let Mahraj make a wrong decision." Kunti spoke hurriedly with a shaking voice. She was more worried about the fact that Kairavi knew her darkest secret.

"Putri, I had no other choice." She sobbed in Arni's chamber. The whole family was spending the night in Drupad's palace.
"Save those crocodile tears, mata. They don't faze me anymore." Kairavi hissed at her.
"No vatsa, how did you assume I was happy after losing my first son?"

"You were not happy?" she laughed sarcastically.
"You left your new-born son to drown so that your father could save face and marry you to the Samrat of Hastinapur! And you say you weren't happy?! How do you even sleep every night Rajmata?

Oh, the irony. A lady who couldn't be a mother to her own son, is now carrying the title of 'Rajya ki mata'."

"Putri... Give me a chance to make things alright." "What will you make alright? Your two sons long to slash each other's throats; they see each other as enemies.
How will you make them brothers?" She scowled.

"Have faith in me. Don't let a mistake of my childhood define my character.
I will talk to him as soon I find the opportunity. But please, don't reveal the truth before me, give me a chance to be a mother I have never been." Kunti beseeched.

Kairavi had nothing more to say to her. She had lost all respect for Kunti. But what was Karn's fault at this? Why did that guiltless child have to suffer the consequences of someone else's mistake his whole life? What did he do to deserve such a life, a life that was the result of a blunder.

A/N: I did not copy-paste the Krishna saar from Star Plus' Mahabharat. Those are my own words. I certainly took the idea, because it was brilliant but the dialogues are mine.

And I'm really sorry for the short chapter, guys. Pandavs will reach Hastinapur in the next update.