Chapter 42

"Pitashree." Arjun meekly approached Indra, to take his blessings.
"Keertiman bhavah, putra. I'm impressed with your prowress Arjun, and consider it my fortune that you are an Indreya."

"How can the son of the mighty Vritrahan not be bestowed with your valour and strength, father? This Arjun wouldn't have existed if it wasn't for you." Sakra smiled and embraced him.

"Your father will always come to your rescue. Even when you think you don't need my help." Dhananjay nodded.

"Devraj. I have a humble request." Govind said.
"Order away, Vasudev."

"This arid surface of Khandavprasth hasn't tasted your vivacious rain in a long time.
Since it is going to be the new capital of Panduputras, kindly do this land the justice it deserves."

"Awashya."

"Forgive me, prabhu." Krishna found an asur, sitting on his feet. He raised his Sudarshan chakra again, but Arjun stopped him.
"No Madhav, don't kill him. He has accepted our refuge."

Mayasur was an ally of Nagraj Takshak. Seeing the destruction caused by Agnidev, he took the correct decision and shifted his allegiance to Govind.
"I cannot neglect my parth's wish, Mayasur. Go, I spare your life." He proclaimed.

The son of Diti started singing praises to the five brothers and Devkinandan. Soon, he was joined by a tall man in orange robes, carrying a tanpura and a pair of karthals in his hand.

"Narayan, Narayan! Jagmohan Hrishikesh ko Narad ka pranipat sweekar ho." "Pranipat, devmuni." Krishna greeted his ardent devotee with a serene grin on his face.

The pandavs, Kairavi and Subhadra nodded curtly and joined their palms. "Dharmputra, you might be aware of the fact that I am the messenger of the two realms. Your late father, Samrat Pandu has sent a message with me to convey it to you." Narad muni clapped his karthals.

The five brothers looked at each other excitedly. "Do tell, munivar."

The divine sage made his way towards Mayasur and helped him stand. "Rise, mitra. Those who have submitted to Narayan, occupy a place in his heart, not at his feet."

"Yatharth." Vasudev replied, giving a mischievous look to Yadavkumari. Being the sister of Krishna, she understood his every beacon.

Narad accompanied them to their palace, while Indra took off to Amravati.

He started talking, "So listen, Panduputro. A king attains a seat in Indrasabha when he himself, or his son performs the Rajsuya yagna, after conquering the entire Aryavart.

Therefore, the brave son of Ambalika has asked Yudhishthir to do the yagna and give him another reason to be proud of you all."

Narad muni proceeded to narrate the story of King Harishchandra and Maryada Purushottam Ramchandra to them, who had performed the sacrificial Srauta ritual before him. It didn't take much effort to convince Yudhishthir, because he wasn't going to overlook his father's wish.

He was about to be the first in the Kuru clan to do the ceremony. It was decided that Arjun would conquer the north, while Sahadev would be sent to the south.
Bheem and Nakul would bring the consensus of rulers from the east and west respectively.

"Vasudev," Mayasur's beseeching voice caught his attention.
"Allow me to construct a place for the holy yagna to take place; for I am called the 'Vishwakarma of Danavs'. That way, my heart will be content, knowing that I've atoned for my folly."

Krishna gave him his consent, and the master of architecture left the castle, to search for rare gems, soil, timber, and stones to commence his construction.

Meanwhile, Govind told them about the need to subjugate Magadh first. It's ruler was a miracle of the Brihdrath dynasty, and a sworn rival of his. Jarasandh.

By word of mouth, it had been circulated in the nation that Magadhnaresh had been born in two parts, each from the two princesses of Kashi.
An ogress named Jara, had joined the two halves and brought him to life; hence the name Jarasandh.
He was an excellent wrestler and highly proficient with the mace. Nobody knew how to kill him, except Jara and Ishwar himself.

"He will never accept your rule, jyeshth bhrata." Madhav bluntly remarked. "The only way to incorporate Magadh in your kingdom is by killing him."

"But no one knows how to do that, Krishna." Replied Dharmraj.

"Perhaps, you're forgetting that bhrata Bheem is more powerful than Jarasandh. Me, him, and Parth shall go and deal with him." He assured him looking at Narad, who laughed and clapped his karthals again.

Kairavi entered Panchali's chamber to find her curled up in a corner. She immediately took her in a hug.
The most Chandraputri could do was sympathize with her jiji. Arjun came to see her too, but Draupadi sent him off, asking him to attend to his new wife.

"I know it's immature to act like this. But did you see the way Aryaputra Arjun looks at Subhadra? She mesmerizes him with her beauty everytime.

Although she is the sister of the person I trust the most, still I fear that she will snatch my husband from me, Kairavi." Shyama poured her heart out to Arni.

"Maharani, this milkmaid wishes to see you." A paricharak, leading a lady came in. Panchali didn't look up.
But Kairavi greeted her new sister-in-law quietly when she gestured her to not speak.

"Maharani, I have brought this special makhan all the way from Dwarka, for you." She put the pitcher near her feet and sat down on the ground.

"Go away, Subhadra." Parshati's grim voice was barely audible. "Go where, jiji? This is my place, at your feet."

"Your brother taught you that. Didn't he?"

"How did you know?" Subhadra's childlike tone amused her. "I've seen plenty of Govind's leelas, and know him well enough to spot one of his dialogues anytime."
"Then how can you assume that I shall snatch Arya away from you, without knowing me?" Panchali looked up from her lap when she took her hands in hers.

"I can never replace you in Arya's heart, jiji. And neither do I want to. I'm sure he wouldn't be willing to give out that place to anyone else, because it is rightfully yours.
I shall forever remain the subordinate queen." Kanha's sister had the same magical effect on Draupadi, as his own words did.

The co-wives hugged each other, and cued Arni to join in.

Just like Madhav had promised, Bheem was successful in defeating Magadhnaresh in a fierce mal-yuddh, where he tore Jarasandh's body in two halves and tossed the pieces in opposite directions.

Without him, Vrikodar would have succumbed to the vain king's deadly blows.

Krishna returned to Dwarka, while Arjun and Bheem came back to Khandavprasth. Their arrival marked the onset of the four pandavs' conquest for Yudhishthir's Rajsuya yagna.
A date was fixed, when Kuru kumars would set out on their excursion.