Chapter 35

This chapter is dedicated to @rubynroses for providing me all the facts about this parva. Love you, sakhi.

“That is true, Kunti.” came a voice from behind. “Bhagwan Ved Vyas!” she exclaimed and walked towards him. “Pranipat.” Everyone said in unison and the saint raised his hand to bless them. “Ayushman bhavah.”

“How come you found yourself in Hastinapur, munivar?” Kairavi perked up. He just smiled and looked at Yudhishthir. “I figured you would need a medium to fructify the desolate land of Khandavprasth, or else, where will these people live?”

He gestured towards the large mass of people standing at the palace gate with belongings in their hands. They had chosen Dharmraj as their master and decided to migrate to Khandav with his family.

Raja Yudhishthir ki jai!!” they shouted with inordinate enthusiasm. “Look, Bheem. We are leaving an integral part of ourselves here, at Hastinapur, but taking a living treasure in its place. What more can a king ask for, when his subjects are prepared to accompany him anywhere.” He bowed to his people, who returned the curtsy.

Aagya dijiye Pitamah, Mata.” He turned to those helpless souls, who selflessly accepted their loneliness in the crowd of Hastinapur. 

Khandavprasth did not fail to meet their expectations in desolation. One could see total infecundity wherever his vision reached. The only green land was a moderately sized forest, at the far end from where their procession came to a stop. 

"Your goal is to establish life on this dead land. Apprehensive?" Ved Vyas asked, testing their mettle.

"No Mahamuni," Yudhshthir smiled with his usual serene face. "We were able to extend our family to rakhshas. This wouldn't be impossible either."

The island born sage, Dwaipayan worshipped the area with the ingredients brought from Hastinapur's vestry. He measured out a piece of land for them to build a city on; but the question was, who would construct it?

"Maharaj." Vrishbhan, a villager came forward with joined hands as a spokesperson. "Where will we spend the night? There's not even a single tree in sight."

The pandavs and their wives fell deep in thought. "There is a forest over there, jyeshth." Nakul pointed towards the Khandav van.

"No Nakul, that's where Nagraj Takshak lives with his family. He would definitely kill all of us if we trespass." Arjun declined. Draupadi and Kairavi were standing next to each other, looking at the lush green jungle. 

They were oblivious to the entity that was creeping behind them, without making a single sound. Even the Arjun, who had mastered the five senses didn't notice.

Closing the distance between the two queens and himself, he yelled.

"Parnaam sakhiyon!!" The two girls screamed bloody murder in fear. The thaal containing sacred ghee in a pot, and red abir slipped from Kairavi's hand. It fell on the sandy floor with a clank, spilling the colour over it. 

"Govind!" she smacked his arm. "Look at what you've done!"

"Ouch! What, sakhi?!" He backed away, rubbing the spot she had hit. "That-" Arni pointed at the ground where the abir was supposed to be spilt, but to her and everyone's surprise, it was sitting in a neat pile on the plate, beside the ghee.

Her eyes widened at the sight. 'How in holy hell did that happen?' she asked herself.

"I come all the way from Dwarka, and you welcome me like this?" Kanha accused her. She looked at him quizzically and back at the ground, ignoring his words.

"Fine. I'm leaving." He turned around and started marching towards his white chariot. "Govind, no! Wait!" Kairavi ran after him. A mischievous smile spread on his lips as he walked with her on his heel.

"I'm so sorry, Govind! Please come back! I regret my actions." She pleaded, still sprinting. Krishna's long legs measured more distance than hers, so Arni had to break quite a lot of sweat to keep up with him.

"Govind, come back."
"Nope, I'm mad at you. You hit me, sakhi. Who does that?" He said with pseudo anger, making her feel guiltier by each passing second.

"I'm sorrryyy." She whined. "But didn't you scare us too? I'm not mad at you for that, why are you then?"

He laughed at her tone and quickened his pace. "I'll come back if you catch me!" He called out. She gasped. "I KNEW YOU WERE FAKING IT!" 

Krishna laughed louder as the two played catch in front of the whole district of people. He was someone, who brought the complete child out of Kairavi. "Enough, Govind. I'm not athletic." Madhav turned around to see her hunched over, with her hands on her knees.

Yudhishthir sighed at them while the others shared a good laugh. The responsibilities of a new king had evaporated the little liveliness he possessed. 

"Vasudev, how did you know that we need you here?" Bheem inquired. "Bhrata, I don't require an invitation to arrive somewhere my presence is required." He smiled. "Pranipat Mahamuni Vyas."

"Kalyan ho, Vasudev." He grinned at him.

"Krishna, show us a way out. These people are tired from the expedition. Where will they find a place to rest in the middle of nowhere?" Dharmraj diverted his attention towards their problem.

"Possibly you're forgetting something jyeshth bhrata." Krishna had begun pulling his riddles and conundrums out of his sleeve. 

"Maharishi Vyas' father, Munishreshth Parashar is a courtier in Devraj Indra's court. He has already asked Bhagwan Vishwakarma to construct a beautiful city for you." Vyas smirked at Govind, knowing that it was Narayan, who asked Vishwakarma to build the city, and not his father.

Within a matter of hours, the God of divine architecture created a magnificent town for the immigrants. Numerous buildings, apartments and paths rose out of the ground and stood upright in Khandavprasth.

The people exclaimed and cheered with delight, for their abodes were more glamorous than the ones left behind in Hastinapur. 

"Life in the middle of death, Govind..." Arni trailed off, enchanted by the miraculous construction before her eyes.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sat on a swing, holding the flute near his lips, my sakha told me,

"Vastav me sukh ki toh koi paribhasha hi nahi hai. Wo sabke liye bhinn hoti hai.

Ek or kisi manushya ko rajmahal ki aseemit suvidhaon se bhi sukh nahi prapt hota; 
toh dusri or ek pathik ko mrigtrishna ki maya maatr se hi param sukh ka anubhav ho jaata hai.

Jeevan ko sukh prapt karne ki pratispardha maan lene wala vyakti, ant me keval nirasha, asantosh aur thakan prapt kar paata hai.

Aur wahin se janm hota hai pashchyatap ka.

Sakhi, dhundne se toh ishwar bhi mil jaate hain. Kisi vikhyat mandir ki sthapit murti me nahi, apitu apne hriday me.

Toh swayam se prashn pucho. Kya sukh ka strot tumhare bheetar hi nahi vaas karta?"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~