Chapter 38

Ghatotkach left Khandavprasth when he was sure that Kairavi was doing okay. 

But she wasn't. 

Although she wanted him by her side but he was a king now; he had some responsibilities and other things to attend to, rather than sitting with his choti ma all day.

So, she wore a facade of happiness to send him back to Kamyak.

However you may try, you can't smother the pain of childlessness from an unfortunate woman's heart. She will always feel incomplete. 

Only those, who are a victim to such an affliction can understand how dark it feels on the inside. But life has to go on. And it's not rainbows and sunny each time.

6 years later:

It was getting hard for Duryodhan to digest the ever increasing prosperity of Khandavprasth. All he wanted to do was seize the kingdom from pandavs.

"Mamashree! Why are those mongrels happy!?" He yelled while slamming his glass on wine on the table. "They have double of what Hastinapur has. How did they do that in just six years!??"

"Mere bacche, a kingdom runs on two things. Politics and popularity." Shakuni explained. 
"Pandu was popular among the subjects, and since Yudhishthir is supposedly the son of Yamraj; people are bound to be fascinated by him.
Just like honey and ants, bhanje."

"In just six years?" "A single night is sufficient to procure a lifetime worth of wealth." He said and Duryodhan's nose flared with anger. 

"Kintu." He closed one eye. 

Ek keetahari paudhe ke nikat aana hi bhaunre ki sabse badi bhool hoti hai."

"Your point?" "However powerful a person may be, there is always a vulnerability within him, son. We need to find that one weak spot of those Panduputras

Kuch samajh rahe ho mere bacche?" He grinned.

"Hume wo keetahari paudha us Khandavprasth me bona padega, mamashree." Shakuni laughed like a maniac, proud of his nephew; who had begun to catch up on his plan.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Irshya. 

Irshya mann ka wo bhav hai, jisse vyakti ko sadaiv dusre ke paatra ka bhojan adhik swadisht pratit hota hai.

Manushya dusre ki vriddhi dekhkar itna vichlit ho jaata hai, ki wo apne thaal ke pakvano ka anand hi nahi le paata.

Toh kaise utpann hoti hai irshya kisi ke mann me?

Jab kisi aur ka starr jeevan me upar uthta hai, toh hriday me unke patan ki kaamna janm leti hai.
Samaaj ke saamne hamara mahatva kam hota dekh, hamare mann me unki uplabdhiyan prapt karne ki abhilasha jaag uthti hai.

Kyuki hum apne mahatva ko sadaiv dusron ki drishti se naapte aaye hain.

Toh sakhi, fir kya irshya apne nirbal aatmvishwas ka praman nahi?

Keetahari paudhon ke bhanti vyavhar karke usse laabh toh milta hai. Parantu,

Manushya ye bhool jaata hai, ki maatr ek vishakt keet ka bhojan karne se, us vriksh ka vinash bhi ho jaata hai."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Jyeshth! Tatshree has sent a message saying that mamashree, Dusshasan and Duryodhan wish to visit us here." Nakul informed Yudhishthir, holding a pale scroll in his hand.

"It is definitely another conspiracy." "Don't be quick to judge, Bheem." Dharmraj always believed that even a jackal has goodwill within it; it's the circumstances that make him cruel.

"Quick to judge, Arya? Have you forgotten the day when he called us harlots?" Panchali said nonchalantly while weaving a golden thread in a fabric. She and Kairavi were making new clothes for Prativindhya and Sutsom for her eldest son's janmdivas.

"I haven't forgotten anything, Draupadi. Perhaps, he has come to terms with our family after the partition. Who knows, maybe he wants to pay us a visit in good faith?" 

"How can you be so certain, jyeshth?" Sahadev's fingers were balled up tightly in a fist. "Change is the sole rule of nature, anuj. Duryodhan's only greed was the singhasan of Hastinapur, and now he has it. I don't see any other reason for him to be hostile. Let them come." Yudhishthir was adamant. 
The two wives exchanged a nervous glance, but they couldn't protest against the supremacy's order.

Duryodhan was star struck, seeing the beautiful capital of the pandavs. Everything in the shops, the architecture, the food and the landscapes were magnificent. Nobody would believe now, that it was once a desert.

The common people greeted the three royals on their horses, as they rode towards the rajmahal

"Mere bacche." 

"Mere bacche? Duryodhan?" Shakuni turned his head towards their direction.

"MERE BACCHE!"  Gandhar raj whispered a little loudly when yuvraj didn't pay heed to him. The two eldest kauravs were practically drooling over the beauty of the city, and were finding it difficult to take their eyes off the surroundings.

Afterall, it was Vishwakarma's creation. Who wouldn't be impressed?

"I want this." He dragged as Shakuni glared at him. "Have patience, Duryodhan. You will always get everything as long as you LISTEN to your mama." He taunted, making him snap back into reality.

"Look over there, that is the headquarters of the pandavs. And that is Takshak Naag's forest on the far left." He pointed a finger. "I've heard that Khandav vasis have an unspoken treaty with the snakes, that none of them will disturb each other's peace; or invade their territories."

Duryodhan narrowed his eyes to see the distant forest better. It appeared as if something was glowing inside it; for the glimmer was intense. "It's illusory. Mayasur and Takshak are allies and hence, he has made it mayavi to protect the inhabitants of Khandav van." Shakuni continued.

"What do you have in mind?" The silent spectator, Dusshasan finally spoke up. His brother and uncle didn't give him a response. They just looked at each other and smirked.

"You will see, putra."

A few dasis welcomed the guests from Hastinapur by doing aarti and throwing flower petals over their heads. Maharaj and his whole family were standing at the entrance, ready to greet them with open arms.

"Pranipat mamashree." He came forward and bent down to touch his feet but Shakuni stopped him. "No, maharaj. A king never bows before anyone."

"We both are kings here. And before that, you are my elder. There is no problem in bowing before the seniors of your family, mamashree." Yudhishthir gave him his serene smile.

Conscience knocked Shakuni's brain, but it was jammed by revenge on the inside. He didn't give him an ashirvad; just put a hand on his head.

Yudhishthir went ahead and hugged his cousins who awkwardly returned the gesture. 
He ushered them inside, where the queens and princes were standing. 

All of a sudden, Shakuni appeared to drop down on the floor before Arni. She took a step back in shock.

"This leg may limp, but it never lets me fall." He rose up straight, fondling his thigh. His little act enforced the message bold and straightforward. 

"Pranipat, rajkumari." He folded his hands while letting out his cheap, yes-man laugh before continuing walking.

She narrowed her eyes, but didn't retaliate.