Chapter 41

Credits to @rubynroses for this chapter 💚

"Put these baskets on the chariot. Maharaj and Yuvraj must be waiting outside. Hurry up!" Draupadi was sorting out the garments and blankets when Kairavi rushed in.

"I'm so sorry jiji. I got late." She apologised. "It's alright. By the way, I heard what Dusshasan did." 

Arni's eyes dropped to the floor. Panchali tilted her head up and said, "Don't worry, I've talked to Arya. He will not allow that vermin to enter Khandavprasth again."

But Arni was focussed on something else. Something was coming at them from the sky.

"JIJI!" She pulled Draupadi towards herself and they both landed on the ground.
It started to rain snakes. 

"HELP! SNAKES!" The dasis started running around and soon enough; the whole room was disheveled; with vessels, clothes, shreds of quilts and a dozen of those creatures in every corner.

"Hey prabhu, what is happening?" "KAIRAVI!! There!" Maharani pointed at the huge reptile hissing and slithering towards the both of them. 

The queens scooted backwards as quickly as they could, till their backs hit a wall. "Arya! Raksha kijiye!" Draupadi wailed when the snake, about two metres in length, rose up and spread its hood.

Its fangs were massive and excessively sharp. If required, they could cut through metals as well. 

It whipped at the ground, but they moved their legs away just in time to dodge the bite. "HELP!" She screamed at the top of her lungs.

And as if on cue, an arrow emerged straight out of its slender body, pinning it to the ground. A green fuming liquid oozed from the snake's mouth as it breathed its last.

"Arya!" "Bhrata Arjun!" 

Lo and behold! There stood the saviour of the two ladies, Savyasachi Dhananjay.
His body had evidently buffed up, hands seemed more deft at the bow than before, and face glowed brighter than a thousand spotlights.

Panchali was on the seventh heaven, seeing her husband after 12 long years. "Jiji. That's-" Kairavi shook her arm, trying to confirm whether the person before her eyes was real, but Draupadi was already lost in a trance. 

They forgot about the deadly serpents crawling around in the room for a second, after witnessing his heroic arrival. Arjun sprang at the two queens and caught one snake, which was about to inject its venom into Panchali's knee.

His eyes met his wife's tearful ones but he tore away his gaze immediately. 

Hesitation? Uneasiness?

Something was bothering the great archer. "Jiji…. Jiji!" She shook her sister when Arjun gave her a look. "We need to leave." He said whilst stomping a few small naags under his foot. 

The three of them came out of the back gate of the castle. The townsmen were killing the poisonous reptiles with whatever they could find, but their numbers weren't decreasing.

The soldiers were doing their best to control the havoc but Takshak's army was literally in millions.
Yudhishthir, Bheem and the twins were also seen saving women and children from being bitten. 

"Arya, do something." 

Arjun chanted something under his breath and shot an arrow in the air.