Chapter 11

They were such an adorable family. She felt exactly the way she used to, while hanging out with Karna. But most importantly, she felt at home. Nobody had a problem when she called herself Karna's sister; or that's what she thought until Nakul spoke up. "Can we really trust this girl? She is Angraj's sister."
"If Vasudev called her an ally, then I don't see any reason to not trust her. And moreover, our enmity is with Angraj, not his family." Kunti's face dropped down at Sahadev's words.

"Angraj?" Kairavi was confused. "Yes rajkumari, Duryodhan declared your brother the king of Ang Pradesh to make him eligible to compete with bhrata Arjun at the contest." he explained.
'Rajkumar Sahadev is so much nicer and respectful than his narcissistic brother.' Her observation voiced her thoughts. 'Ironically, they're poles apart, demaneour-wise; despite of being twins. I will never marry Nakul.' she blushed at the thought of marrying Sahadev.

"Kairavi. Putri, you might be exhausted from the journey. Go and take some rest now." Kunti offered. She was right, Kairavi was super tired with the excursion. Her face was drained of it's usual radiance and her legs were weary; she needed some sleep.
"Dasi!" Kunti called out for a maid. Purochan's wife appeared to escort Kairavi to her room. "Mata! Why bother her when Sahadev is willing to do the job?" Bheem suggested. "Bhrata Bheem!" He objected but Kunti nodded in affirmation.

Kairavi didn't know how to feel. It was too sudden for her to calm herself. She felt excited, nervous, jumpy and happy at the same time. "Come, rajkumari." said the chivalrous prince. She made sure to lock eyes with Nakul before leaving Rajmata's room. He was glaring at both of them as they walked out, probably angry at his family for supporting her stay.
A pang of hurt and guilt sprang up in her heart when the idea of Nakul being upset about her stay came to her mind. But she followed Sahadev anyways.

They hadn't noticed that dusk had departed already. The whole place was pitch dark, no torches or any sources of light could be seen anywhere. "Well, this is nice." She said sarcastically making him laugh. "Hold on, let me show you something really cool." He approached a mirror nearby and turned it in such a direction that the reflection from the first one jumped on the series of mirrors placed at regular distances.

Kairavi's jaw dropped to the ground floor. "This is brilliant!" she exclaimed with excitement. Purochan was a genius. Although the lighting in corridors wasn't enough, but still the idea highly impressed her.
As they moved further towards her quarter, the light grew dim and the putrid smell grew stronger. The space diffused an eerie sense of horror inside her. It felt like something bad was waiting for them at the other end of the corridor.

"Are you scared of the dark? I can get you a torch if you want, Kairavi." Sahadev suggested. "No, it's fine." she muttered. It wasn't the darkness she was afraid of, it was fear of the unknown that made her uncomfortable. In her timidness, she started walking behind him without realizing. The young pandav saw her move so hesitantly and offered to bring a torch once more, but she refused again. The last thing she wanted to do, was to stand and wait alone for him in the hallway.

'Is this kaksh on the other end of Varnavrat?' her fear had started to make room for irritation. But she couldn't tell him, or otherwise he would've thought that she was child, who was scared of monsters in the dark.
Kairavi saw one side of Sahadev's angavastra hanging free from his back. She caught and held it in her hands to make herself feel better; and in that way, rajkumar  wouldn't even know she resorted to that deed, to wane her fright.

But she was so wrong. Sahadev became aware of what she was doing behind him after experiencing a few light tugs on his garment. He pursed his lips to hold in a grin and continued walking. He felt warm and fuzzy in his chest, seeing her innocence.
After what felt like a hundred hours, they finally reached Kairavi's suite. "You should use horses to get from one place to another in this castle, rajkumar  Sahadev." she shook her head blew out air from her cheeks. "It was your apprehension that made the small path seem like a hike." he elucidated.

"Apprehension? Me? No way, you must've been apprehensive." she refuted, too certain that he wouldn't be able to figure it out. But what she didn't know was, that Sahadev was the wisest of the 5 brothers. "Oh right! I forgot. It was me." he pretended to recall.
"But thankyou for clutching my angavastra, rajkumari. It gave me courage." He teased. Kairavi was caught off-guard. She was struggling to save grace while he stood there smirking at her. Unable to find any excuse, she peered at him through her eyelashes and smiled, pleading guilty.

They both shared a good laugh at Kairavi's childishness. Sahadev felt silent first, and secretly enjoyed watching her chortle at her own silliness.
She soon realized that she was laughing alone like a retard and sobered up. Sahadev's stare was intense, yet soft at the same time. It made her shy away and lower her eyes to the ground.

"I'd send some food for you." He stated and left the room, leaving Kairavi alone with her thoughts and a sense of emptiness. She missed him already.