Chapter 80

"Why?" The last shred of rebellion transitioned into despair.

"BECAUSE I LOVE MY SON!" She screamed at Nakul.
The silence that followed was brooding.
It left Kairavi panting for air; because right then, she was not fighting to prove herself right.
She was fighting to prove her love for her child.

"I know what it's like being motherless!
I have spent my whole life yearning for a mother's love.
I craved it from Rajmata Kunti but she's not even-" She suppressed the rest of the sentence down in her throat.

Nakul's face was unreadable. It bore the pain of betrayal and separation, but sympathy for his wife at the same time.
He did not speak, neither did he press her on to finish what she had almost blurted out.

"She is an ideal. She deserves a lot more than just a mother's degree." Her yells died down.
However, she hated her mother-in-law for abandoning Karn, but there were many things that she admired about her.

Even after being maltreated by Chandraja, she never reciprocated her hatred.
Pritha saw her sons' brides as the daughters she never had.
Regardless of whether they were humans or demons, or serpents. Moreover, she was the reason Kairavi got blessed with a beautiful son.

"I can not even begin to tell you how much my soul smolders whenever I think about him.
A whole ocean of tears brims in my eyes. But then I just gulp them down, realizing that he is in the right hands.

Perhaps I cannot partake the knowledge that Govind will give him. Or the skills that Mahamahim will bestow upon him." Her soft voice echoed throughout the meadow.

"And who are you to question my decisions, Kurukumar Nakul?" She pointed an accusing finger at him.

"Remind me of one instance where you have acted like a father towards my children. Dead or alive!"
The hair on Nakul's skin rose up, hearing the crude truth from her mouth.
The weight of guilt is arduous to carry. His head couldn't bear it and tilted towards the ground.

How could he look her in the eye after witnessing his son's murder and doing nothing about it? Was sealing a vow enough?

"Aap dono bhi Dusshasan ke samaan hi doshi hain, Arya.
Aur apraadhi swayam apna dand nahi nishchit karta."

Now it was her who was towering Madrinandan. Metaphorically.
The words that came out of her mouth were harsh, but isn't the truth always bitter?

He turned away from all of them and stormed off into the woods.
"Nakul!" Bheem called out after him, but he didn't listen to any of his cries. Worried, Vrikodar glanced at Yudhishthir for permission.
Seeing him nod, they both followed him towards the jungle.

Although they knew he was capable enough to defend himself from any troubles, still they didn't trust his perturbed mind.

Draupadi hesitantly walked over to Kairavi.
She caught her hand in a reassuring hold, ushering her inside the hut. The silent tears glistened under the moonlight as they all walked back in. Finding Sahadev in the way, she stopped abruptly to ask him,
"Do you think I am the culprit here?" She whimpered.

The youngest pandav shook his head and smiled. "Never." He assured; the sparkle in his eyes injecting hope into Arni.

Panchali made her sit on the mattress while Arjun went to fetch water for her.
He wanted to go and bring Nakul back into his senses but decided against it. He approached the co-wife of the twins with sympathy on his face.

Taking the clay vessel from his hands, Kairavi chugged down the water in one go.
This time, the liquid burned her insides. It felt like the cool brook had transitioned into a stream of magma.

"Kairavi," Arjun spoke in a low voice. Parshati and Kairavi looked up at him and saw him on his knee, hands joined in respect.
"What are you doing, bhrata Arjun!" She shrieked.

"I don't know how both of you manage to sacrifice everything for the sake of us five. Where do I even begin?

You and Panchali have given up your dignity, your rights, comfort, royalty, riches, motherhood and have even doused the flame of revenge from your hearts.
My nerves writhe, seeing your sufferings, but my hands are tied.
I cannot avenge you two unless we are robust again." Shyama teared up and put a hand on his face.

She stroked his stubble while smiling solemnly.

"You acknowledging this, is enough for me, Arya.
And I have faith in all of you," She craned her head to look at Sahadev. "That you will punish the kauravs, and everyone who silently spectated the Dyut Sabha."

"No Panchali. This is not enough." Savyasachi said, putting his Gandiv at their feet.

"Aaj se, mere shastra aur mera mastak, tum dono ke charno me samarpit rahega."
He said, staring determinately at the two queens. Sahadev sauntered away from there.

They all exchanged a look of confusion
"He didn't like that, did he?" Samragyi asked.
Kairavi shrugged in response and sighed.

This was very queer of him.

The youngest Ashwiney never stepped back when it came to these things; but who knows when devotion changes its direction?

But his was dogged.
He returned, his steps beaming with pride and respect.
They saw him carrying a lot of things in his hands, but they couldn't make it out because of the darkness.
Arjun, however, grinned at his anuj, for he could see just as well in obscurity.

"Keval Gandiv kyu? Jyeshth ka bhala, bhrata Bheem ki gada, Nakul ki talwar aur Sahadev ka parashu," He declared while putting them down near their feet.
"Pandavon ke paanch shastra samarpit hain."

The queens were tongue-tied at their gesture.
They couldn't find words to articulate amidst the cacophony of happiness swirling inside them.

What the mighty archer did next, assured them that they didn't need to pat their backs for executing their responsibilities.

He took Kairavi's ankle in his hands and placed it on his knee.
Maintaining a stern grip on her forefeet, he stared straight into Chandraja's eyes.

"यत्र नार्यस्तु पूज्यन्ते, रमन्ते तत्र देवता:!"

"Where women are worshipped, there the Gods rejoice!"