Chapter 5

Karna and Kairavi were two beautiful and skilled youths. Lord Parshuram had groomed his two disciples so well that there was hardly anyone in Aryavarta who could compete with them in their spheres of expertise.

News had spread that all the Kuru princes were going to return to Hastinapur from Dronacharya's gurukul soon.
Radheya knew that the monumental contest between him and his arch-nemesis, Arjun was drawing near.

Meanwhile, Kairavi was blissfully unaware of her future. Although she never guessed why she was made to be adept in so many arts but she still followed all of her lessons religiously. She recieved her education to improve herself, whereas Radheya recieved his education to earn the title of "World's Best Archer" and prove himself better than Arjun.

She was immersed in the manuscript which rested on her lap that day, when Parshuram's scream filled her ears, "Shiv Shiv! So much blood!". Her head snapped towards the direction of the commotion.
He was pointing towards Karna's thigh which was bleeding heavily. Instinctively, the princess grabbed some moss lying nearby and rushed to tend his wound.

"No brahmin has the tolerance to bear that much pain without making a single sound, you're definitely a kshatriya. Tell me the truth, who are you Karna?" He asked with anger in his voice.

Karna hung his head in guilt. "I am a sutputra, gurudev." he admitted in a low voice. "YOU CHEAT!" gurudev blared. "How dare you lie to me?" Karna fell on his knees and joined his hands in regret. "I never lied to you sir. I refused when you asked if I was a kshatriya.
All my life, I've been insulted, and kept away from weapons because society thinks they are the property of Kshatriyas and Brahmins. Even Dronacharya refused to teach me shashtra vidya when I revealed my caste to him. So I set off to Mahendragiri mountain in your search."

He went on, "But people on the way told me that you only teach brahmins so I had to take up this attire, otherwise you would've sent me back as well gurudev."
Parshuram wasn't pleased to hear that. "If you were a true seeker for knowledge, you would've chosen truth as it's foundation, and not deceit!" "I'm ashamed of my deed, sire. I beg your pardon." Karna pleaded.

"You are not worthy of my pardon. Therefore I curse you! The knowledge you have acquired via deception shall leave your side when you need it the most. You will not remember any of it." His voice echoed in the air. A sob escaped Karna's throat upon hearing his harsh words.
"And you!" He turned to Kairavi. "You knew everything all along but still helped him with his treason and broke my trust. Hence, every promise made to you will be broken. You shall never recieve assurance!" The moss slipped out of her hands in appalment.
She couldn't believe that gurudev, who was also a father figure to her said that.

"No gurudev! She has no fault in this. You've brought her up like your own daughter, how can you curse your own child?" "Because I don't believe in partiality Radheya!" The sage countered.

"This whole prapanch was my fault, so why should she be punished for that?" Karna wailed.
"Chaff gets ground along with wheat, it's fault being protecting the grain." He paused, "She has protected your lie this whole time and that makes her the culprit too." Parshuram explained with a heavy remorseful voice.

"Please take the bane off her and curse me instead." He beseeched. "No bhrata Karna. I've always, whole-heartedly accepted whatever gurudev has given to me; be it knowledge, reprimands, boons or love. So I accept this bane as a blessing too." she managed to state with a shaking tone.

"Leave my ashram at once, you scoundrels! I don't want cheats to dwell here." Parshuram closed his eyes in disappointment and with that, he stormed back towards his cave.

But he stopped abruptly at the gate and spoke, "Keep in mind Vijayadhari, if you ever protect someone's misdeeds in the future, you shall be punished once again." Huge rocks slammed the entrance shut just as he finished his sentence.