Chapter 34

Dhritrashtra's heavy steps carried him towards Bhishm's chamber. 

"Maharaj, a warrior's major needs on a battlefield are his armour and weapons. The dearth of either can sabotage him in seconds."

Shakuni's words echoed in his mind. 

"Don't forget that you are powerful because of Mahamahim and Mahamantri. They are your kavach and astra. If your uncle leaves with those Panduputras, then where will Hastinapur obtain its protection from?" 

He would occasionally run into walls, or tables and stumble on the stairs; for his impatient mind brewed abominable thoughts that shook him from within.

"Tatshree." 

"Come in, I was expecting you putra Dhritrashtra." Devavrat's tone was relatively calm, perhaps with the thought that he will live under the rule of dharm now. His grandsons would give him the peace he had always longed for.

"You will abandon us, tatshree?" Samrat's face was drained of its usual conceit. "Why are you saying that?" Bhishm smiled at the parchment he was reading.

"You know exactly what I'm talking about. Those pandavs, they will get stronger than my sons. What if, they conquer my Duryodhan's kingdom in the future." He raised his voice.

"Do you doubt their morals? Or the capabilities of your sons?
Ironically, pandavs grew up without a father, but still they have all the virtues and principles that a father teaches their children." He indirectly taunted the upbringing of kauravs. Dhritrashtra rolled his visionless eyes in anger.

"But that's not fair, tatshree. My nephews get half of the rajya, plus your guidance. What are my children left with? An incomplete province and no vigour?” Dhritrashtra could feel Bhishm’s gaze fixed on him. The senior Kuru had got a hint of his motives, so he joined his hands before him. 

“Please putra, let me be free from these responsibilities. I have suffered enough for the sake of my father’s glory. Now its time for me to join him in heaven, and watch you all from there."

"How is that possible, tatshree? You had taken an oath to protect the throne of Hastinapur. Pitamah Shantanu will be disappointed if you walk back on your promise." He wrapped himself around Bhishm's arm, like he used to do as a child. But this time, it wasn't out of love.

"Pandavs can either have half of the kingdom; or your companionship, Mahamahim." 
He repeated Shakuni's exact words. 

"And what merit do your sons hold to get both, putra?" "Merit of being the samrat's sons, tatshree. " His timbre sounded just like his evil brother-in-law. Bhishm was devastated.

He knew he would have to stay in Hastinapur either way. 

If Narayan exempted him from the sin of one murder, he would've definitely beheaded that wicked piece of filth. 

But the best interest then, was to give them a share of land, keeping his desires aside. Maybe God doesn’t want him to retire just yet, he had more torments in store for the resilient son of Shantanu. “Today you have defeated me Dhritrashtra. I will stay here, but you have to part with your land and give them an equal share.” 

“No, tatshree. Give me a vow. That you will never leave my sons’ side even if it means fighting a war against the sons of Pandu.” 

Bhishm let out a shaky breath. 

“I give you my word, Maharaj. I will obey your every command as long as you are the king because till then, I refuse to call you my nephew.” A smile of satisfaction made its way to his face, knowing that his sons were invincible with Gangaputra Bhishm in their favour.

Yudhishthir entered the Rajya Sabha in a white dhoti, prepared for the abhishek. The janeu dangled from his pale torso and his jet black hair hung loose. He bowed before everyone present there and walked over to the large platform, decorated for his crowning. 

Kulguru Kripacharya commenced the ritual and soon, the former yuvraj was bathed with oil, milk and holy water. A royal vesture was draped over his shoulder and a traditional necklace was placed around his throat. 

Finally, Dhritrashtra put an exquisite, golden crown on his head, "I, son of Samrat Vichitravirya, in the name of my ancestors, declare Pandu putra Yudhishthir, the independent ruler of Khandavprasth!" 

The city people started cheering for the new king. Maharani, Rajmata, Draupadi, Kairavi and Dushala showered flowers on his head from the mezzanine balcony while praying to God for his well-being and prosperity.

Shakuni had managed to convince Duryodhan to be satiated with half the kingdom. But how could a corrupt mind like Duryodhan's accept his brother's accomplishment?

Although he remained quiet during the whole event, his brain continued to scream profanities at Dharmraj. His uncle noticed his turmoil and put a hand on his knee. "Mere bacche, dhairya rakho. Just wait and watch how I have crippled these pandavs whilst giving them wings." He raised an eyebrow at Shakuni, who nodded in return.

"Abhinandan, Yudhishthir." Maharaj said with a hint of sarcasm in his voice. The eldest pandav took his blessings and moved to the other elders to do the same. Just when they were about to proceed towards the wagons waiting outside to take them to Khandavprasth, Dhritrashthra began talking. 

"Raja Yudhishthir. Before you leave, I want to place some conditions just like tatshree did yesterday. Not as a payback, I-er, just consider it my humble request."

"Ofcourse, tatshree. Your wish is my command." Yudhishthir said. Bheem and Arjun exchanged glances.

"Your region shall be counted under Hastinapur, which means it won't have an emblem of it's own." That is easy. Dharmraj didn't have a problem with being subordinate to his uncle's rule.

"And, Kunti will stay here. It is my responsibility to protect her after my dear anuj Pandu's death." He laughed sardonically.

"You think we are not enough to protect our own mother?" Bheem was enraged. He knew something like this was about to happen.

"Don't argue, Bheem. I will stay here with jiji." Rajmata's voice was heavy from holding back tears. Her eyes spoke to her sons, sending reassurance to their hearts.

Shakuni's eyelid dropped on seeing his plan working out. He ensured that the pandavs could not raise a finger against Hastinapur, by keeping Kunti as their shield.

"Pitamah, let's go." Arjun ushered Bhishm towards his chariot. "Forgive me, putra-" 
"No, pitamah. Don't complete that sentence. Tatshree has already snatched our mother from us, and now you?" Vrikodar whined.

"Who said Dhritrashtra has snatched me from you? You five will always be my pride." He smiled at the distressed brothers. 
"This is my misfortune, kids. That I cannot see you happy even after so much struggle. Only God knows niyati's plans"

"No tatshree. It is not your misfortune. It is an opportunity for my sons to achieve something big, something that will set them free.

And then, no power would have the nerve to stop them from acting according to their will." Kunti stood beside Gangaputra.

"Your struggle isn't over yet."