Chapter 71

"Tatparya?" The puzzled Chandraja asked.
The distress didn't budge from his face when Vasudev answered, "Tumhare putra prapti me mera bhi kuch swarth tha.."

"And may I know?" She egged him on. Mischief seeped through his smirk when he turned to face her. "I got another mother in your form, sakhi." Sitting on the same spot as Nakul, Arni blushed just like her eldest husband did a few hours ago.

"The whole world will call you my third mother.

Mata Devaki, Janmdatri.

Mata Yashoda, Jeevandatri.

And you, Kairavi" He paused to look deep into her eyes.
"Dhairyadatri."

"Dhairyadatri?" She asked

"Dhairyadatri?" She asked. "Yes." "Am I worth the title though? Considering I went bonkers seeing Shatanika and Shrutasen for the first time."

Kanha chuckled. "Indeed, you did. But that wasn't directed towards Shatanika and Shrutasen. Or Karenumati and Vijaya.
You accepted them without resentment, and that too when the first time you saw them.

Your patience is admirable, sakhi.

Arni could tell that he was lying; for the expression on his face was unreadable.
But she couldn't tell if he was proud of that or sorrowful.
Hearing the quandary in her mind, Krishna answered, "I am more than proud, Chandraputri. This child couldn't get a better mother than you."
He said as if he was trying to console her. But she was too old and cynical to straightaway believe what Kanha was claiming.

"Mata bulaya hai na aapne mujhe? Mata se koi satya nai chupta, Madhav. 

What is going to happen to my son?" Her voice was quivering. She clutched the edge of her son's crib while maintaining a daunting eye-lock with the ruler of Dwarka.
"Tell me the truth." She warned.

Krishna sighed and closed his eyes. Trust was something she rarely put on somebody when it came to her children, even if it was Krishna. She had left her naivete far behind herself.

 She had left her naivete far behind herself