Chapter 30

A small troop of soldiers carrying flags of Hastinapur marched towards the entrance of Panchal. "Seems like tatshree is eager to bring us back, Yudhishthir." Kunti smiled. 

"Rajmata, Panchal Naresh aur Yuvraj ko hamara pranipat sweekar ho." The senanayak greeted. "We've come to escort you back to Hastinapur on Mahamahim Bhishm's orders."

Yudhishthir nodded and turned towards Drupad. "Allow us to leave, pitashree. Bless us so that we three brothers can protect your daughter from every predicament that befalls on her." He joined his hands.

"Yashaswi bhavah, Yuvraj." Bheem, Arjun, Nakul and Sahadev followed to take blessings from Panchal Raj

"Putriyon." He stopped before Kairavi and Panchali. "Never forget that you both are the pride of Kuruvansh. There will be times, when society condemns you ruthlessly, without knowing your dilemma, but don't let the criticisms stick to your hearts; for an iron rod becomes fragile only when it allows rust to corrode it."

"Pitashree.." Draupadi nuzzled in her father's hug, embracing the pain that every daughter has to go through, when she becomes a wife. Chandraja put a hand on her arm as a consolation. "Go Draupadi, go and make Panchal proud." Drupad pepped her up.

Five chariots, along with two beautifully decorated palanquins, started their journey towards Hastinapur. They were returning to a life which was knee-deep in dirty politics and conspiracies. 

The pious throne of Kururashtra must have wept for so many nights, longing for peace and an eligible successor. Finally, Yudhishthir was coming to pacify her sobs now.

'My marriage is going to be officially known to every person in Aryavart. How would the elders react?' Kairavi was getting cold feet as they entered the borders of Hastinapur. She fidgeted with her fingers nervously while staring at the scenes outside the palanquin.

"Stop the palki." The bearers came to a halt at her command. "Who is that?" She pointed at a man sitting in the courtyard of a seamstress, drinking the water she poured from a pot into his palms. She figured that he was someone from the royal family, by the golden crown that rested on the stairs beside him. 

A blue angvastra was draped over his broad shoulders and several necklaces, made with precious metals and gems, went around his neck. "That is kumar Duryodhan, your highness." A handmaiden replied. 

"Samrat Dhritrashtra's son Duryodhan?" Arni asked in disbelief. "Yes."

The rich spoilt prince of Hastinapur, who tried to kill his brothers was drinking water from a shudra? That was hard to swallow. 

The rest of the family had overtaken her while Kairavi decided to stay and watch what he did next. To her surprise, Duryodhan touched the old woman's feet and gave her some of his rings in return for her kindness. 

He boarded his white horse, and rode away in the opposite direction, failing to notice the spectator that was observing him from a distance.

"But that doesn't make sense. Didn't he complot to burn us all in Lakshagrah?" she wondered, but the dasi remained quiet.

Kairavi couldn't stop thinking about the incident the whole way. 'Maybe Aryaputra Sahadev will give me a satisfactory explanation.' she thought.

The bearers put the palanquin down, meaning that they had reached the palace. 

She heard low, chirpy voices from inside the cabin as the pandavs and Kunti greeted their elders. Within a couple of minutes, another handmaiden came to accompany her and she stepped out of the sedan.