Chapter 26

"Ghatotkach!" Bheem wrapped his arms around him. "My son, my little rakhshas, look at you, so mighty and powerful." The joy of fatherhood was new to Vrikodar and it was overwhelming him.

Hidimba stood behind, tearing up silently with happiness. "My putra." she whispered. Ghatotkach was gawking at his father with admiration, while Bheem pet his bald head lovingly.
"Bapu, Ghatotkach is here to serve your every command." He said in a deep voice.

"Putra, first go and seek blessings from your mata, pitamahi Kunti, tatshree Yudhishthir, kakashree Nakul Sahadev and kakishree Kairavi." He acted on the order at once and touched Chandraputri's feet at last. "Pranipat choti ma."
"Choti ma?" Kairavi wasn't expecting that. "Yes, when you held me in your arms, I couldn't tell whether I was in my mother's garbh or out of it. So I shall call you choti ma from now on."

"Tejaswi bhava putra. May you never fail to make your elders proud." The words of her nephew had filled her heart with elation. Never had she ever been called a ma; and the feeling hit different.
She caressed his cheek and said, "Why did you grow up so fast Ghatotkach? You were playing in my lap just a while ago. Jiji, that wasn't fair." she wiped her tears.

Kunti saw Hidimba's hesitant smile and instantly understood why. "Putri, we can stay for a few more days if you want."
"No, mata. How can kuruvansh's kulvadhu go back on her word?" she managed to choke out. Kunti hugged her tight, proud of the choice she had made for Bheem. "You are an ideal wife, Hidimba. The world will worship you in the future for your abnegation and selflessness." she benedicted.

The pandavs dressed up as brahmins once again, and took leave of the new family they had made among the typical enemies of Aryas.
Hidimba was on the verge of breaking down but she smiled from ear to ear, so that her husband's spirits don't get feeble.

Together, the seven of them stepped out of the mayavi forest of Kamyak, proceeding towards Kampilya in north.
They entered Maharaj Drupad's kingdom after a pedestal expedition of three days. "Jyeshth, I can see a hut over there. Maybe the inhabitants will give us shelter for a while." Arjun speculated.

"Good, mata needs some rest. We stopped only once since we left Hidimba's abode." Yudhishthir replied. They approached the shack to find it devoid of any residents. "No one's here." Bheem went inside to check first.

"Sons, I need to organize a anushthan for bhagwan Shiv. Help me hoard the necessary things and then you can go beg for alms in the town. And Kairavi, you come with me." She ordered.

Chandraputri was scrubbing sandalwood when the pandavs entered, carrying all the necessary items. "We're going to the town mata." Bheem said. Kairavi peered at Kunti with pleading eyes. "Go. I know you're dying to wander in the city." She chuckled, shaking her head. Kairavi hopped on her feet like a child on getting her permission.

The town looked lifeless. The brothers tried knocking on some doors but didn't get an answer. One vendor, who was wrapping up his goods told them that everyone had gone to the Rajmahal to witness Panchali Draupadi's swayamvar. He also informed them about the heavy donations Drupad was giving away to all the brahmins.

The four pandavs were willing to go there but Yudhishthir was apprehensive. "I'm sure bhrata Duryodhan and Angraj Karn would've participated in the contest. They might recognize us if we go to there. It's risky." He stated his concern.

"Jyeshth, look at us. We look nothing less frightening than demons. Who will recognize us? And why would they even pay heed to ordinary brahmins like us?" Nakul insisted.

"Aaaah! Bhrata Bheem, my ear!" He yelled when Vrikodar twisted his ear. "Demons are frightening, huh?" He hissed. "How will I answer if you don't let go of my ear?"
"Why? You speak with your ears?"
"Jyeshthhhh!"
"Bheem, stop." He had to spare Nakul  at his elder's command. "Jyeshthhh!" Bheem mocked Nakul in a girlish voice. "We'll have to arrange your swayamvar if you don't become a man soon." He laughed.

"Jyeshth I don't see any harm in attending Draupadi's swayamvar. No one will be able to spot us in this attire anyways." Sahadev reassured.
Yudhishthir gave into his brothers' wish and decided to go to the ceremony.

As he had estimated, numerous kings from around Aryavart had come to participate in the contest along with Duryodhan, Dushasan, Karn and Shakuni.
The task was peculiarily hard, the contender had to shoot an arrow straight in a fish's eye through a small orifice in the machinery; and that too by looking at it's reflection in an oil pot.

Kairavi saw Karn sitting among the other royals and became exceedingly excited. "Arya, look! That's my bhrata." She elbowed Sahadev in her thrill. "Easy there tiger." He chuckled.

"I, Panchal Naresh Drupad, open this competition for brahmins. Is there anyone in this amphitheatre, who can accomplish this task and win my daughter's hand in marriage?" He announced.
"What these skilled kshatriyas couldn't do, how can we possibly succed at such a feat?" Everyone started murmuring to each other.

"Brahman devas, when kshatriyas couldn't accomplish the task of eradicating unrighteous kings from Earth, sage Parshuram, a brahmin had to take up that job." Vasudev's voice echoed through the arena.

"Jyeshth, that's Madhav. Ever so divine and charismatic." Arjun said smiling at him. Chandraputri stood on her toes to get a glance of this well-known "Madhav" whom everyone praised, but she didn't have the height for that. The crowd in front blocked her view.

"Arjun, I think we should leave now. Everyone's attention is towards this balcony." Yudhishthir said urgently. They agreed and started to make their way out of the swayamvar.

But before they could exit, Vasudev stopped them. "Where are you going, o learned brahmins. This summon is for you." They all turned around to find Vasudev staring straight at them with a solemn smile on his face.

Kairavi's eyes went so big that they could've easily fallen out of their sockets. She gaped at him, open mouthed while he walked towards them.
She had met Krishna before!

"Grahil mahoday?!" she almost shouted.

"Parnaam sakhi."