-STABLE BUDDIES; S.J

genre; comedy/romance
word count; 1770
-(prompt and story creds to BubsBeeOwU)
yall can change the horses name, lowkey hate the name cookie but this bitch chose it so eh smh
———
(Y/N pov)
I sighed deeply as I lay against the wooden wall in Cookies stall, watching her attempt to whip away the flies with her tail.

It was yet another summer morning, one that I got to spend with my horse. I finally forced myself to get up off the wall and grab a brush, thoroughly combing through Cookies long black hair. I made sure to brush the dandruff off of her black and white painted coat, ending with a quick hoof pick.

After minutes of trying to get the bit in her mouth, Cookie finally compiled. I got the saddle on fairly quickly and gave her a little rub on the nose.

Right as I was about to leave, our stable hand walked past me with a flake of hay. I assumed it was for one of the horses, but instead, he walked into the stall next to mine.

I questionably raised an eyebrow. That stall hasn't been used in years for all I know. I took a glance inside to find it finally being put to use.

There was probably a new rider joining the stable, and I guess they brought their horse, too. I was excited to have a stable buddy, since most of the friends I had here transferred to more advanced barns.

"Maybe you'll actually like the newbie and not be a bitch to them." I said to Cookie, referring to her nasty temper.

I grabbed a reign and we made our way out of the barn, heading outside to the arena. The sun was shining bright and there were barely any clouds. The warm breeze was quite soothing.

Once we finally made it inside the fenced arena, I checked my stirrups and girth. With the help of the step stool, I hopped on. I settled into the saddle and gave Cookie a little squeeze to get her to walk.

We wandered around the arena for a bit, admiring the beautiful day. It'll probably be the last one before heavy rain and dark clouds take over the next couple weeks.

I took a deep breathe before getting Cookie into a nice, slow trot. I excitedly grinned to myself as I saw the fun course set up the day before.
This ride was gonna be a fun one.
———
Sure enough, I was right. I was sweating by the time I hopped off of Cookie, giving her a big pet before making my way out of the arena.

My legs were aching. I decided to do a bit of no stirrup work, destroying my thighs and calves completely.

I noticed an unfamiliar man walking into the arena, with a horse of his own.

I gasped at the different shades of browns covering the horses coat. It had a blaze running down its face and a small splotch of white on its belly. It must be worth a ton, I thought.

He didn't notice my gaze as he was busy fixing the stirrups to his preferred length. He ran a hand through his fluffy brown locks and finally turned to look back at me.

"Hi." he said, his Australian accent surprising me. I chuckled out of embarrassment and gestured a small wave.

"Hello. That's a gorgeous horse." I said.

"Thank you! His name is Bambi. And who's this cutie?" he asked, stepping forward a couple steps to give Cookie a rub on the nose.

She excitedly sniffed his hand, ears perking forward in alert.

"Thats an adorable name. This is Cookie." I said, scratching behind said horses ears.

"Ah, matches her well." he said, examine her white coat covered in black patches of all shapes and sizes.
I nodded, running a hand across her multi-colored neck.