The golden egg (p33)

The beginning of the year was pretty slow. I definitely felt more at ease knowing that Nikolai wasn't roaming around the castle anymore. Hermione and I had spent most of the month urging Harry to work on finding out the egg's clue and there wasn't much else that we could do for him. I had spent the majority of my time with Draco and if I wasn't with him I was with Cedric.

Neville once more had become interested in another book Moody had given him but this time I saw that he had tried his hardest to check up on me at least once a day.

I was spending the day with Cedric one day when the topic of the tournament came up.

"So how are you feeling about the second task?" I asked him

"I'm not sure I haven't been able to figure out what the message means," He told me and I could hear the confusion in his voice.

"Message?" I asked trying to keep myself relaxed in an attempt to hide the desperation for knowing what message.

"Yeah, hasn't Harry been able to figure it out yet?" He asked a hint of shock in his voice.

"Well....No...no he hasn't" I felt a little disappointed at the fact.

"Ok well tell him he should try to take a bath in the prefect's bathroom, and he should bring the egg too." He sounded relaxed.

"Ok...." I answered him extremely confused at his directions.

After it got dark Cedric and I started heading to dinner and we encountered Draco on the way.

"Diggory do you mind if I take my girl back now?" He said in a sarcastic angry tone.

"She's all yours mate." He said giving him a bro hug.

"Yeah, she is!" Draco winked at me and I just rolled my eyes playfully at him.

I ended up having dinner with Draco at the Slytherin table which I could see Pansy was never a fan of and afterwards Draco and I decided to sneak up to the astronomy tower while everyone went to bed.

He was leaning on the ledge and I was leaning on him, our chests touching. Although we did chat about a few things here and there we tended to spend a lot of our time simply staring at each other, kissing every once in a while and just enjoying the presence of each other.

"y/n, I have something for you" Draco whispered to me.

I straightened up "What?"

"Well, I heard your birthday is next month and I know you'll be a little busy with the second task so I thought I should give you your present now." He said looking a little shy.

"Draco...you didn't have to," I said leaning in to kiss his cheek. He then pulled out a small black box from his robe and gave it to me. I opened it to reveal a beautiful necklace.

I looked at it open-mouthed

I looked at it open-mouthed. "Draco it's beautiful," I whispered

"I thought you'd like it, something to symbolize both our houses." He explained pointing at the serpent and then the red diamond.

"It's perfect, thank you," I said and he grabbed it from the box and put it on me.

I turned and kissed him once again.

______

After I had told Harry the clue Cedric had given me he had been able to figure out the message pretty easily. The one thing he was concerned about now though was finding a way to be able to breathe underwater for quite a long period of time. It was two days before the tournament and Hermione, Harry, Ron, and I had spent all of our time in the library trying to find anything on breathing underwater. I was getting too hungry to think so I decided I was going to head to the great hall to see if I could grab a bite to eat before continuing with our search.

"y/n! wait up." I heard Cedric call from behind me.

"Cedric hi," I said in quite a dismissive tone unintentionally.

"Well, you look like crap." He said laughing

"Yeah, I'm sorry I haven't left the library in days." I apologized.

"Hey, I wanted to give you something for your birthday. I know it's early but I'm not sure we'll have much time after the second task." He explained.

I stopped on the spot and I saw him take out a small glass flask from his robe. He then handed me the flask and I read the label on it.

Iris
By C.D

That was all it said. "Cedric, thank you, it's great!" I tried to sound as convincing as I could, not really knowing what it was.

He started laughing "It's an Iris perfume, I know Iris is your favorite scent and I enchanted the bottle myself so it never finishes. It's a never-ending perfume!" He sounded so excited.

"Ohhh, wow, I have to say I think this is one of the best gifts I've ever received." I laughed but meant what I was saying. "Thank you, Ced," I said hugging him.

"Of course, anything for my best friend." He whispered.

"Are you ready for the task?" I asked once we continued walking to the great hall.

"I think so, I'm still not sure exactly what to expect but I've got a few tricks under my sleeve." He winked.

I'm sure you'll do just fine. Once we walked into the great hall Snape surprised us both as he appeared in front of us seemingly out of nowhere.

"And what might you two be doing together?" He asked in his usual nasal and serious voice.

Cedric and I looked at each other confused "hmm...coming to get something to eat." Cedric replied.

"Two students, from different houses, coming to eat together, not with Miss Chang..why might that be?" he asked making Cedric and me more confused at his unusual behavior.

"Sir, y/n is my best friend and we do tend to hang out a lot, it really isn't that unusual" Cedric replied.

Snape nodded.

"Is there something wrong sir?" I asked

"No not at all Miss y/l/n" He finished before turning around and walking away, his cape billowing behind him.

"What was that about?" I asked Cedric as we watched Snape walk away.

"No idea." He answered nudging me to keep walking to a table.

_____