Divination (p12)

This year we started taking Divination classes. I wasn't too sure what to expect for our first lesson but after all of Hermione's criticism on the inaccuracy of divination, my expectations were pretty low. What made it worse was that we were scheduled to take the class with Slytherins. I had been trying to avoid them, especially one Slytherin in particular. Now that Snape had postponed our Advanced Potions lessons until further notices I thought it would have been easier. 

"Welcome my children, in this room, you shall explore the noble art of divination, in this room, you shall discover if you possess the sight-" Professor Trelawney started bumping onto a coffee table in front of her making a couple of us snicker. 

We were starting this class by reading tea leaves, we were told to take a teacup from the person sitting opposite us. In my case it was Neville. She mumbled on. She then came to a halt before Seamus and Dean's table. 

"But first! You must broaden your minds." She said as she grabbed onto the top of Seamus's head with both hands and shook it. I tried to stifle a laugh looking at Seamus's confused face. He looked over to me and threw me a pout while raising his eyebrows making me giggle more. She continued in a whisper "you must look BEYOND." At the last word, she threw her hand dramatically at a distance making everyone's heads turn with it.

She then continued to move along the classroom before saying "You boy! Is your grandmother quite well?" she pointed at Neville. 

"I think so," Neville answered confused looking towards me as if I had the answer. I shrugged. 

"Don't be so sure of that." She continued asking me to hand her Neville's cup. She looked in the cup and proceeded to make worrying gestures. Neville reached for the cup concerned trying to understand what that meant. Trelawney then proceeded to take my cup and looked inside it. 

"How's your love life, my dear girl?" She asked me, her huge magnified eyes looking right at me and making my eyes widen slightly.  

"Excellent, I said shooting a smile at Seamus." He smiled back and I hear Malfoy scoff from across the room. 

She looked over at Seamus and proceeded to say "mmm yes, well not for long my dear girl....yes yes....you will suffer....But don't you worry darling the right one for you is among us. She turned slightly towards the Slytherins and smiled." She continued "oh quite interesting...It seems an even bigger surprise awaits you this year. Be prepared to listen my dear girl." She finished as she moved on. 

I furrowed my brows and saw that Seamus did the same. I shook my head after she turned around to show my annoyance. She then moved onto Harry, Ron, and Hermione's table. To be honest I had no idea Hermione was even there until now. 

Once she was in front of Ron she shook her hands in front of him emitting a sound like that of a baboon making Ron jump. Her quick and sudden movements making me giggle every time. 

"Your aura is pulsing dear, are you in the beyond! I think you are!" She started loudly at Ron. 

"Sure!" He said with a slight grin on his face. 

"Ok the cup, tell me what you see!" She ushered him. 

I saw Hermione start to laugh behind him. "Oh yeah well Harry's got sort of a wonky cross. And well that's trials and suffering-" he said flipping through pages. He then pointed back into the cup and continued "And that there could be the sun, and that's happiness. So you're gonna suffer, but you're gonna be happy about it." Ron finished. 

I could see Harry trying not to laugh at Ron's prediction. 

"Give me the cup" Whispered Trelawney, taking the cup from Ron's hands. She looked into the cup for a split second before freaking out and throwing the cup back onto the table. 

She struggled to utter anything before saying "My dear....you have...THE GRIM!" She whispered in a terrified tone of voice. 

"The grim? What's the grim?" Seamus asked. 

A bunch of whispers erupted all around us when someone in the back of the class proceeded to read out an explanation of the grim and it's meaning. I felt a shiver down my spine as I heard the boy's explanation. The room fell silent and everyone shared an equal feeling of panic which was clearly demonstrated in everyone's expressions. Except for Hermione who looked incredibly annoyed.